Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

hello

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Default hello

ok here goes again.... ok just wanted to say hello first my name is david and im glad to be a member of the forum.im new to rodding this is my first real rod been around them all my life but never really had one and dont know anything so im learning as i go. i have quite a few questions i hope yall can help . so here goes with what ive got ill try to list all the info i can to make it easier to answer. ok i got a 1977 camaro with a 454 t 350 tranny 373 or 383 gears not sure not sure on the stall either it feels like it has a small one though the cars weigh 3800 and some change is gonna be a vette stang eater and strip every now and then. ok i tore the motor apart due to a balancer bolt gone awol and wearing a groove in the snout of the crank. so i figured while i was there go crazy! ok here is what the motor has
stock 454 heds 119 cc chamber stainless valves an old school tarantula single plane intake a holley 850 double pumper 30 over trw pistons stock crank and rods and a 125 shot of nos . the car ran consistent 7 .20 in the 1/8 i saw four or five time slips . i guess thats pretty good for the specs not sure though like i said im new. the compression was 11 so he said the guy that built the motor said...thats neither here nor there just letting yall know the cam that was in the car is this one http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2162&gid=290 it has hooker comp headers looks to be 2 inch tubes with 3 and a quarter main tube to the best of my measuring. it has an over size griffith alum rad with a little sqautty 14 inch fan that barely covered the whole rad which brings me to a question. the little time i drove it around it always ran 200 210 and over heated one time the guy thats building the motor said it wasnt pulling enough with that fan around 950 cfm since then but havent ran it yet ive gotton a twin 12 inch and the shroud covers the whole rad and supposed to pull 2850 cfm my engine guy said thats plenty of fan now it had a mech hv edelbrock water pump too i replaced it with a new one would the little single fan make it run hot thats my first question and does the set up he had sound odd in any way? do those sound like decent times any idea on hp numbers?? next ill post what ive ordered for the new monster

Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM

ok first off i got a set of afr alum heads 115cc chambers with 325 runners i got the cast http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=68_72 i got a victor jr intake keeping the double pumper keeping the 30 over pistons 0 decked they said the compression will be 10 1 to 1 with a 0.41 mls gasket. got scat forged crank stock measuments . stock eagle h beam rods arp rod bolts. arp stud kit with windage tray for the crank. clevite main and rod bearings. tci flexplate fluid dampner brand balancer 8 inch. the pistons are trw. these are my cam choices and would like all opinions please i want to keep low end torque and still run up top good with the above mentioned cam i use to have it ran awsome but i know i got diff heads etc etc so cam choice might be comp diff based on what i want . which one of these will be my best choice for low end grunt and still have good top end and going to the strip every now and then? or does anyone suggest a better choice im no real sure on how lifts and duration work im just going by what the tech said . here r the cams
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2161&gid=290

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2162&gid=290

thanks guys!!

ps will this set up make a noticable difference vs the first set up the motor had. any ideas on hp for this motor?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 PM

forgot to mention i have hooker comp headers will these work with these heads or will i need something else thanks!

Old 09-08-2010, 06:07 PM

i hope everything works out for you. good luck.