Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Electric Waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Electric Waterpump

Hey everyone, I need some help here. I am putting an electric waterpump on my camaro. One thing that I definitely don't excel in at all is wiring/electrical connections. It looks like a pretty simple hook-up but I don't wanna hook this thing up and have it end up not working. I was unable to find any diagrams anywhere on it and all CSR recommends is a 15A inline fuse. Do you think that is enough or should I run a relay? Also my fuel pump and fans are on switches in the car, should i put the waterpump on a switch, tie it in with the fuel pump switch, or put it key on? Everyone's thoughts and step by step wiring instructions here would be much appreciated and a great deal of help to me. I already have wire, inline fuses, relays, spade connectors, and all the necessary electrical items. Thanks everyone!!

Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I wouldn't hook it up to a switch if it were mine, that's just one more thing that could burn/wear out. You would have no need to turn it off anyway, unless you're servicing the car with the key on, but you could then pull the fuse. Find a reliable keyed source. Since CSR recommended a 15 amp fuse, the motor must be drawing somewhere between 10-15 amps. Using a relay would be more necessary if it was switched. Curious though, why in the heck do you want to use an electric water pump anyway? Unless maybe you're building a race car.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 05-18-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the input, I was figuring that going to a keyed source would probably be the best bet because I don't really have a need to shut it off. I was just thinking for the fact that i wanna make sure that thing goes on before I start the car. I have my fan switched also and I like always turn it on before I start the car just so I hear it and I know it's working. The car isn't a race car but it's no where's near a daily driver. It's for my enjoyment and the only thing left being driven off the crank now is the alternator. Maybe I'm being a little too picky in trying to squeeze everything out of the motor as possible but it's got a pretty extensively modified 468ci big block in it making in the area of 650 flywheel hp. I talked with the CSR tech before purchasing it and he said it would be great for the car, of course I'm sure he was trying to make a sale also, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a while. Me just not knowing a whole heck of a lot about electricity/wiring didn't know which route would be the best to go and the instructions that came with the pump dont help very much as all.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'm just a little leery about having an electric water pump on a street car. I have an Edelbrock belt driven one, and it cools the engine just fine. Not to scare you, but if a belt driven water pump goes out, you stand a pretty good chance of limping home with only a leaking pump. If an electrical pump fails (electrically), you need to call for a flatbed ride home. Also, another electric component means the alternator needs to work harder to keep up, which takes h.p. to do. Frankly, with your little peanut of a 468 , I doubt you'd notice a difference either way. But hey, go for it at this point, those anodized water pumps look nifty!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Haha yeah I do realize everything you mentioned in your post. I have billet aluminum everything on the motor so the anodized pump looks awesome. I also upgraded the alternator this past winter to a 140 amp which is wayyyy bigger than the previous. I had in mind that I was going to upgrade a few things. And the only thing that looks like a peanut is my engine bay with te big block in there thank you for the input, I really appreciate it!!