Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Camshaft/Lifter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Camshaft/Lifter replacement

Just wondering if there are any step by step cam/lifter replacement instructions listed anywhere. I've searched the best I know how with no luck, so if this is a repeat post please forgive me. Also is this something a mechanicaly inclined person could perform in a weekend garage session? Oh yeah its a 1999 ls1. Thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

I don't know about an LS1 engine since I've never done one or your bay's setup but usually with a cam swap you have to either lift the engine out or tilt it enough to be able to stab it in. This requires removing the majority of the front assembly (water pump, balancer, altenator, etc.) in order to get to the timing chain cover. That's just to get to the cam. First you have to remove the valve covers to get to the rockers and loosen them up enough to be able to pull the pushrods. Once those are out you have to pull the intake and anything on top of the intake. From there you pull the lifters. Then you go through lifting and tilting of the engine. I know on older sbc's you have to disconnect the mechanical fuel pump and pull the fuel pump operating rod also otherwise you'll be pulling on the camshaft and it won't be going anywhere. Also you might as well swap out cam bearings while you're there which isn't the hardest of feats but it's not the easiest.

Usually you use something like this to install cam bearings but I don't know if with a LS1 that anything's changed. On that page in the upper right you'll see a link to the .pdf instructions. You can read on there how to install cam bearings. Most people I know will have the machine shop install the bearings after having machine work done just to save them the trouble.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^your link didnt come through. pretty sure u can get the cam by taking the radiator out and adjusting the air conditioning condencer to the side. i dont think u have to take the alt out on the ls to get the front cover off. i would recomend getting a dealer service manual for your yr before starting. these manuals are for your yr and model so u dont have to sort thru the other yrs and model stuff like the multi yr/model books. lets see pictures.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Heres a few pics. I've done a good bit of work on old small blocks, but the ls is an entirely diffrent animal.

Attached Thumbnails Camshaft/Lifter replacement-camaro-130.jpg   Camshaft/Lifter replacement-camaro-124.jpg   Camshaft/Lifter replacement-camaro-129.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
^^^your link didnt come through.
Works for me...

I dunno Craby, you think he can pull a camshaft out that's basically the length of the engine out of that thing without lifting or tilting the engine and just removing the radiator?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by kyphur
Works for me...

I dunno Craby, you think he can pull a camshaft out that's basically the length of the engine out of that thing without lifting or tilting the engine and just removing the radiator?
theres a thread on here that it was done on. he had to remove the condenser and position it to the side also.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear member

I think it can be done. I did it the other day on my lt1, and I'd guess the engine doesn't sit any further forward in an ls1 car.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help. I guess I'm gonna find out tho. My lifters have a small tick, everyone says not to worry about it but it's driving me crazy. Do you have to remove the heads to get the lifters out?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

You shouldn't have to, usually you take off the intake.

You sure the tick isn't from a pushrod slap? Do you have roller rockers or the stamped steel stock ones? Sometimes the rocker nut comes loose and it will give a tick since the lash isn't correct. Atleast on older model engines.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robmnrd
I think it can be done. I did it the other day on my lt1, and I'd guess the engine doesn't sit any further forward in an ls1 car.
Cool, I would think that you would have a hard time getting the cam out and clearing the radiator support. If it can be done that way then more power to you.

This was why I was worried about it:

I know the 4th gens have half the hood underneath their dash from that slope in the windshield though.

Last edited by kyphur; 09-09-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Camshaft/Lifter replacement