Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

cam swap winter project

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default cam swap winter project

So im thinking of doing a cam swap this winter. Ive been looking at the LT4 hotcam for a long time but now I think I want something a little bigger. but anyways I havent made a decision on the cam yet but I have other questions. I know that with a bigger cam the springs need to be changed and im planning on going to 1.6 roller rockers. But what else needs to be replaced? Does the timing chain need to be replaced?

I know its a good idea to replace the lifters, but whats the deal with changing to roller lifters? are they direct replacement? Also are upgraded pushrods needed / a good idea?

Sorry for all the questions, the last time a swapped a cam it was in a 455 oldsmobile big block and everything was so much simpler!

Any help is appreciated

Old 11-14-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: cam swap winter project

yes, when replacing the cam, you always want to think of it as, never use old parts with new parts, with the old cam, it could of dished the lifters a little, and that'll just cause the cam to round out on that one lobe, as far as the pushrods go, you can use the same ones if you would like, but if everything else is coming out including the lifters, i would just throw a set of pushrods in anyways, the slightest bend in them can really screw you over, as far as cams go, i would recommend looking into lunati, they are very good and strong cams, i have nothing but good things to say about them, as far as the timeing chain, i deffinetly recommend putting in a double sprocket timing chain, edelbrock makes some real good ones.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Overdrive Member

With a full roller assembly you can just swap the cam out and throw on some new springs, although it would probably be a good idea to replace the other components while you have the intake off. As far as the timing chain I'd recommend the LT4 timing chain and sprocket kit.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

opinions on this set up?

CC 305 cam
CC pro-magnum 3/8stud RR's
CC Hydraulic roller lifters
These for springs? http://speed-eng.com/store/product_i...oducts_id=3122

And idk about a new timing chain yet.. the LT4 one seems really overpriced... but Im not finding alot of others out there. alot of them say there for small block chevy's but dont really specify if it covers an LT1