Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

building a camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Default building a camaro

hi there i'm new round here and i live in the uk. i've been in love with the 69 camaro since i was a youngster and i've finally got one by selling my old house and now i really want to build it so that it can go like hell. i've already created a beetle monster a golf rallye running 350bhp and a 450bhp rx7 but i think now i'm ready to take on the musclecar and i hopefully want her to put out at least something like 500-800bhp and i've heard from friends that its possible if you no the right stuff and right people so i was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction about building something that can go. i've visited sites like jeggs etc and i just don't no where to start because theres so much to choose from please help me guys thanks.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: building a camaro

Are you looking for a small block or a big block? You can go with a stroked 400 SBC and that would be a good foundation. Get a set of 230CC intake runner heads with 49cc combustion chamber, and 2.02 intake valves. Put good headers on it, a single plane intake with an 850 CFM carb. Hi volume oil pump, high ratio roller rockers, you'll prolly have to go with a small base cir. cam. Tall valve covers with stud girdles and guide plates for the valve train. 400 blocks are 2 bolt mains, you can have them machined to be 4. You can always add a blower and nitrous on it to give it even more horse power too. When making this power, remeber Camaros are unibody cars. Brace the car with a roll cage and sub frame connectors. Buld up your transmission because you can strip the splines right off the input shaft. Also the rear end and axles should be beefed up a little bit. I would HIGHLY recomend custom fit traction bars to make your suspension last longer.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:15 PM

i believe its a big block right now but i'm realy intrested in this what do you recon
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10763
is it worth it and what should i do about suspension electrical etc and would it be worth fitting a supercharger
thanks mate

Old 10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Very nice engine I could give you other names of guys in the states that for that type of money will also build you a beast just for compairison. Remeber for that type of power you are looking at alot of changes and strengthening. Tell us what you have now in detail ie rear end, roll cage, transmission ect ect... There are a lot of knowledgable people here, give a good idea of what you have and what you want to use it for. Also how much do you want to spend(correlates real well with how fast you want to go)

Old 10-25-2006, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you go wih that, definately 12 pt. roll cage. Electrical, MSD 6AL ignition control box, If you're going to go with an automatic, you're going to WANT a TH700R4. I'd go dish out the money and put in either a Ford 9" rear end or a GM 12 bolt. Moser and Currie axles both make them. Go with ARP wheel studs. Suspension would have to be beefed up in the front. They have lowering kits with thicker wire for natrually a stiffer ride and provide a similar ride height for the front. Looks like you have some money. If you really want to go ***** to the wall, Global West sells tublar A Arms with a coil over suspension. That is a very good value for you buck. Call me ignorant, but I don't know if your machine shops would be able to machine a block in standards? That's pretty much a drop in deal, everything is matched so you know it will work together right. There won't be too many reasons to send parts back. Check out http://www.proformanceunlimited.com

Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nice ... but something about purchasing a crate engine just rubs me the wrong way. Sick

Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SickSickSick

Nice ... but something about purchasing a crate engine just rubs me the wrong way. Sick
For me it takes most of the fun out of it(I always think I can do it cheaper to).

Norm Would a 700r4 hold up to that kind of power ?

Old 10-27-2006, 03:02 AM
2nd Gear member

Norm Would a 700r4 hold up to that kind of power ?
I was wondering the same thing. I've blown two of them with a bare stock L03, just hitting the pedal hard for a while. For the kind of power demands we're looking at, for my money, I'd probably have to go with a beefed up TH350 or 400.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

There are parts out there to make it work, but that cost money. Out of the box, no.
http://www.700r4.com/faq/bighp.shtml
http://www.gearstartransmission.net/...=2004r&x=0&y=0 Rated for 800 HP

Old 10-30-2006, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

http://fbperformance.com/NewSite/gmtrans.asp here is another good site for transmissions.

Quick Reply: building a camaro