Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

breaking in a cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: breaking in a cam?

ORIGINAL: RatMotor

If this is a flat tappet cam, be warned that the new non-synthetic oils with the SM rating are not compatable with flat tappet cam engines; especially for break-in.
With all due respect, this statement has no real foundation for being true, regardless of what we read in the lastest edition of HR or PHR. Three quarters of their articles are full of S**T anyway. If that were the case, push rods would wear out against the guide plates,fuel pump push rods would wear out, rod bearings would fail quicker and so on.

These articles that Hot Rod (and others) put out that say we need to run a special cam additive in our oilat every change do no justice for those of us that PROPERLY break a cam in and use good parts. I've seen just as many people wipe a lobe with Kendall or Rotella as I have with regular old motor oil.

The proper steps taken and the proper break in lube will work 99% of the time. That other 1% is for the given fluke that happens to all of us. I've wiped out 2 lobes on the many engines I've built in the last 20 years. One was a fluke. The lifter never spun in the bore (my fault) and the other was because I was too lazy to pull the inner springs (my fault). All this was with generous amounts of break in Moly from Isky and regular old 10W-30 oil and proper techniques.

RM

EDIT: machineman, I mean no offense to you, but I can't be convinced of these statements from oil and (some) cam makers.
RatMotor,
I had no idea that the comic books had those articles in them. I do not read them as they really do not help me at my level. However, I did get some bulletins from inside industry sources such as the AERA and others about the oils.
Myself, I have not had a problem. I do not even bother using low ratio rockers or lightweight springs although I would never stop someone from doing so.
I do know that the SM rating has changed and it is more in tune to the modern roller engines. Take what you want from that.I do not own any stock in a cam company or an oil company so this is just from the heart.
I appreciate your input. However,I am not reading some kid's magazines and reciting what I am reading. Trust me, I tell my customers daily to only believe 10% of what you read. I have even had my own customers in magazines that somehow are making more horsepower and turning better ET's at the track than I knew! You have to take them with a grain of salt.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: breaking in a cam?

Some very good information..

The Sl rating on oil is a good one,

however I think one important thing is not mentioned.

FOLLOW THE CAM MANUFACTURERS BREAK-IN INSTRUCTIONS

Nearly every major cam manufacturer provide their procedures with the cam and most have them available on line. Some are somewhat general in nature, some are very detailed...., some say to limit the valve spring pressure as well...

I like to vary the rpm a little during the run period..and above all don't let the damm thing overheat.

G

Still some very good points...