Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Advantages of a blocked EGR

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Default Advantages of a blocked EGR

I've been reading around, and I've seen some people say that a blocked off EGR will only help keep your fuel/air system cleaner, where others allude to better performance. I'm curious as to whether the performance increase is even noteworthy, or if it is really just a matter of cleanliness. I was thinking that instead of simply curring it off, it might be interesting to try to install a cut off valve that could even be controlled via a solenoid actuated by a switch in the car.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Advantages of a blocked EGR

Blocking the EGR will accomplish nothing except increasing air pollution and causing part throttle ping. The ping causes the computer to retard spark timing which reduces fuel economy at highway speed. The EGR only opens at part throttle and is closed at idle and at WOT. The output power is not affected in any way. If you want to block the EGR and still have the engine run properly the PCM should be retuned.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Overdrive Member

what is egr ? i was looking at intakes and it said non-egr

Old 09-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Tech Droid

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. Controls the emission of nitrogen oxide, which among other bad things, corrodes your lung linings, and makes your eyes burn.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:50 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i got a set of valve covers for my 86 tpi, and it has a valve breather. is the factory breather hooked up to the egr? ive follwed it into the throttle body. what should i do when i replace the valve covers and there will be an opening the throttle body? what can i use to plug it up, or should i use the factory breather?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

The factory breather is not hooked up to the EGR, it's hooked into the throttle body that has a vacuum. I would stay with a breather instead of the PCV valve on the valve covers. PCV takes all the nasty gases from the crank case and creates a vacuum so the piston on the down stroke doesn't blow out gaskets. It then takes all that nasty stuff and deposits it over the intake runners, injectors, vavles, piston, cylinders, combustion chamger, cats and O2 sensors. Breather just vents it into the air. The down side is that the piston on the down stroke has to expell the air.

If you do decide to block off the PCV tube on the throttle body, you can get vaccuum cap.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

alright. i planned on keeping the pcv valve, but the breather on the passenger side is what i had meant. where do i get a vaccum cap to put into the throttle body to take place of where the breather had gone?