Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Advantage of carburetor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Default Advantage of carburetor?

Do carburetors have any advantage over EFI whatsoever? I'm thinking about getting a Camaro and buy a motor from Jegs, mate with a drag-style MT andhope to hit below 12 secs 1/4s miles, I don't know what advantaged do the carbs have in drag racing VS EFI so, I'm going to ask you drag racing peeps!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Advantage of carburetor?

It is much easier to mechanically tune a carb than tuning EFI. Alsocarburetor parts are much cheaper then EFI.There is no sound of secondarys kicking in with EFI. You can't use leaded gas with EFI. Swapping out jets is pennys compared to injectors and if you need more or less CFM it is cheaper to swap carbs or mainbodys than Throttle bodies. It is much easier to repair and work on carbs than injection. Overall if you want good streetability with great 1/4 mile peformance without blowing your budget, then a Carburetor is the way to go.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Is the carb sound betterthan EFI on a GM motor?

Also, Does the new high performance carbs still "spit-out" fuel and sometimes ignite if it hits a super hot engine block? (my friend's late 70's original Chevy truck did that and it almost set the car on fire without the filter on.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Gas will always have the possibility of igniting if spilled on a hot engine.
If the carb is spitting fuel out, then there is a problem with the carb. A well maintained, well setup carb does not leak or spit fuel out.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Overdrive Member

Ultimately you can get more air and fuel through a carb, but it's much easier to get the perfect mixture out of EFI since the computer system is constantly monitoring and adjusting the amount of fuel entering the cylinders to maintain an almost perfect air to fuel ratio. You can make a really fast car with a carb(refer to Pro-Stock drag racing), but you can make an even faster car with EFI (Refer to Top Fuel).

Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Droid

I don't think you will find much of a power difference between the systems as long as they are tuned properly. As for being easy to work with, it all depends what you are used to. Personally. I rather tune the engine by keying in changes with my laptop, than messing around with jets, power valves, pump strokes, etc.. The one advantage of a carb set up it that it usually much cheaper than EFI.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Carbs are inexpensive and simple to tune, and often they make a really nice sound particularly with unsilenced air filters,but ultimately they can't match EFI's combination of power and driveability -- with EFI you can have a lot of both, with carbs, alot of one or the other.

The power/dirveability differences are due to better metering of fuel, etc., but part of the problem is with the intake manifolds, too. With port fuel injection, manifolds flow only air and can be designed for only that. With carbs, the manifold flows an air-fuel mixture. This may not seem like a big deal, but many really efficient wide power band manifold designs (they work well at low RPM and at high RPM) won't work well with carbs - if designed to flow at lot of air at high RPM, at low RPM/small throttle settings the air is moving so slowly with so little swirlthe some of the atomized gasoline in it saturates out and puddles at the bottom of the manifold -- and the engine runs lean and stumbles at low RPM. That's not a problem with port EFI and the designs can be a bit more efficient and have a wider power band.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

go to a strip and talk to some racers. you will get some experienced information and a lot less theory. Sick

Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

The sound of a carb is based on your own opinion, I have always liked the roar of secondarys kicking in.