Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

350 out-454 in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Default 350 out-454 in!

I bought a 70 rs that originally had 350/4 spd. combo but since I did not get engine or trans with the car I need some advise on what to do. I have a 350 from my dads old race car I can use but I also have a 454 from a late 70's early 80's truck that I think I would rather use. My thinking is that the 454 should be good driving motor due to torque, so I am looking for advise on what I should find at the swap meet this weekend. 454 I was told was stock rebuild with about 3k on it, I pulled 1main cap when bought(2 bolt) and wear was min., heads look stock as do crank, piston, and connecting rods. Will this motor make descent power with mild cam intake and headers? Should I look for different heads? I only got the power steering pump but no brackets for anything so could you guys help me figure what I need to put this together? Picks of your 2nd gen bb cars engine (brackets,pullys,ect) would be real helpful. I did search but to many to go thru to find what I need. If you have any advise as far as what to concentrate on and what not to and anything you learned in your process would be great. Thanks, Tedd

Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You realize the a late 70's early 80's 454 is going to have about 240 Hp and it is setup up for a truck. I think they have cast cranks. Your not going to get real far with out major upgrades. Now a racing motor with a more street friendly cam/heads/intake would rock as long as the compression can be tamed.