Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

305 high output vs 350 4 bolt main

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 AM
kal
In the Staging Lanes

Going to keep the 350 in it for right now till I decide what to do with the Camaro either fix it or sell it. Going to go through the car an see what it needs an clean it up an figure out what to do with it by the end of the month.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

you did make the right choice motor wise. I was pulling my hair out reading this thread.
let me ask you this, Do you like the car? i mean genuenly like it? if so buy a cheap rice burner to drive everyday and take your time with the camaro and enjoy it.
Dave.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 PM
kal
In the Staging Lanes

Yea I got one question what makes you think I don't genuenly like the car? Well thing is the car is ok. I was not planning to get the car back I got the car back to keep the guy I got the car off of from driving the car in my name with his plates on it an getting me in trouble with it. But for the car I am planning to get it cleaned up an stuff an just try to sell it an get my money back out of it. I have bout 2K in it an I figure the 350 in the Camaro will not get much better than the 360 in my 74 F250. I would like to just sell the car for the money I have in it or trade it for a 60's Mustang with a inline 6 or 289 with manual trans hopefully in a convertible an just be done with the Camaro once an for all. Bad thing is this car was the car I wanted growing up an when I got the car in Aug 03 I wanted to fix it up an everything. But since I got a raw deal on 3 GM vehicles an 2 of them were new an after all that I just don't want to deal with a Chevy or a GM product ever again an no vehicles will ever have a computer in it. I will just stick to my Fords but the car is a good one for someone looking for a good car to fix. If I was into this car like I was years ago before I had all the trouble with GM this car would be done in no time an looking good. but if I cant sell it I will fix it an drive it an just go as cheap as I can on it to keep the amount in it down as much as I can. So hopefully someone will buy it an treat it like it should be an I can get it gone an just buy a 60's Mustang an be done with it.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if you genuinly liked it you wouldn't be looking unload it. if you want a mustang go for it and enjoy it i like those too
as far as lemons and GM, they have had their share and so has every other manufacture here's proof my uncle bought a brand new 1986 f-150 biggest piece of dung on wheels, his was a 351W 2WD AUTO a nice truck but total lemon you name it it went including the motor. he didn't have it very long.
i have an 1986 f-150 300 4spd 4WD 231000 miles on it never been apart and the best truck i've ever owned.
the moral there's good and bad in everything.
Dave

Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 AM
kal
In the Staging Lanes

Yea I use to like it an had plans for it but after the trouble with GM I am done with anything GM from here on out.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What trouble with GM?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear member

First, I am 100% die hard tride and true Chevy guy all the way.

GM filed bankruptcy, because no one was buying their cars. The last 6-8 years Chevys have been crap. There are a few exceptions but you can look at the sales figures. Yes all manufactures have lemons but they are the exception. Everyone I know that had a newer Chevy had it in the shop more then they drove it. I am certain you can name someone who had good luck. That isnt the point.

I bought two brand new 06 Chevys both were junk (Colorado and Cobalt). My Colorado lived in the damn shop and the stupid sabb inline 5 couldnt pull its own weight. It was straight junk. I know several guys who hate that motor. A friend had Chevy replace 3 motors in his sons 06 Colorado.

Now an 04 S10 with a 4.3 is great truck. Good for 300k, Well build in all aspects.

I sold the Colorado and bought a 79 C10. For the 20k I still owed on the Colorado I will have one freaking bad a_s C 10. One that starts all the time, has working tail lights and can pull a freight train.

I hate to see a person give up on Chevy, but if I am mad at them who isnt. I may give them another shot in a few years after I hear and see good stuff. Till then nothing new for me.

It isnt fair to compare that Camaro to a late model car.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I think may be straying from the topic a bit but i have a friend who has a 2010 duramax he bought to pull his race cars he lives in PA went to daytona in feb on the way back the motor went in the truck!!! on the NC SC boarder! had to get it towed all the way back to PA!!
i've been looking at diesels lately but it looks like a Power Stroke for me. just heard way too much bad stuff about the duramax.
Dave

Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 AM
kal
In the Staging Lanes

The trouble I had with with GM with 3 different vehicles. A 02 Camaro had to get attorney general on it, new car 08 Saturn Astra XR 5 door hatchback call GM's main office & new car 08 Chevy HHR SS had to get a lawyer an a 1 1/2 year fight to buy the car back. After all of those problems I said forget Chevy & GM an just stick with Ford. So yea I just want this Camaro gone & get a 60's Mustang an be done with it. besides the 350 in it would not hold up to me any way its not strong enough & being a GM I figure the car is not dependable enough.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by kal
The trouble I had with with GM with 3 different vehicles. A 02 Camaro had to get attorney general on it, new car 08 Saturn Astra XR 5 door hatchback call GM's main office & new car 08 Chevy HHR SS had to get a lawyer an a 1 1/2 year fight to buy the car back. After all of those problems I said forget Chevy & GM an just stick with Ford. So yea I just want this Camaro gone & get a 60's Mustang an be done with it. besides the 350 in it would not hold up to me any way its not strong enough & being a GM I figure the car is not dependable enough.
LOL, Unless you plan on 650 HP and over 12,000 RPMs your 350 is fine if it is built right. All car manufatures have issues. Saturn has a very loyal following, I don't like them. I have a lot of friends that are ford guys and they have as many if not more issues then I do. I have a 98 Sunfire with 189,000 miles on it. Beside normal wear items so far I have put a water pump and a throttle postion sensor on it, it runs fine. My wifes 02 Venture mini Van is approching 150K and so far its needed a intake gasket resealed and a sway bar.

I used to do warranty repair for GM dealers and yes there are cars that get F'ed up in assembly. I have had motors a part on cars with less then 100 miles on them but at the time I had friends that worked at a ford dealer and we used to swap stories about defects all the time. I have always said you think there is a manufacture that does not have defect just sit outside a dealer and watch what comes in on the flat beds. Most dealerships have 3-8 full time guys that just doing warranty repair.

I can remember one guy with a 84 Caprice that even painted a Lemon in the back window. As a general rule we had very few issues with the 84 Caprice. This guy had 3 trans and a new engine before 40k This was one unlucky guy. My dad had a 84 Olds (Same car, same engine) He did not take care of it and it did not give him any trouble till over 100K.

Nothing wrong with older Camaros or Mustangs, Just keep in mind back then cars where designed to last 5-7 years. Then engineers never intended them to last more then 10 years so how good the car is will depend less on who made it and more on how it has been maintained and repaired. Some advice, before you amke any deals do a lot of research, Like Chevy, Ford has a lot of dog motors and parts out there. A coulpe of digits or a year or two in engines and you can go from a motor that is a boat anchor to a kick butt 302. Kind of like the 305 vs 350.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-20-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 305 high output vs 350 4 bolt main