Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

305 firing order. i need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 305 firing order. i need some help please

ok heres where i am at. i put turn the engine over. until i get a push on my thumb. then the grouve is facing justttt about to the bigger tooth thing. but should the rotor be facing the nubmer 1 spark plug wire on the dist. cap. or the number 1 plug on the block? if so when i get the push on my finger. the rotor is facing 5:00oclock and that isent where the plug is on the dist cap. but it is on the block. so my firing order might be wrong from when i got the car. so should this be what is go from? - http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_sb.htmand on that site.?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
2nd Gear member

ok, but should the rotor be facing the #1 spark plug wire on the dist. cap or the #1 cylinder? and how do ii know whitch is the number 1 rotor cap plug. when i feel the push, and the groove is near the wide ***. the rotor is facing 5:00 oclock postion. witch isent the plug that goes to my #1 cylinder. should i change my firing order again?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:30 PM
2nd Gear member

oops. i dident mean to write the second one on this page, i dident see that there was a second page on the 1st page, so i thought that the post got screwed up so i wrote another 1. post 10 and 11 are telling basicly the same thing, but post 11 exsplains my situation better. thanks again

Old 11-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Droid

If you are really interested in learning about your car, you should purchase a repair manual for you car (Chilton or Haynes) for about $20 at your local parts store, and read it. It will have pictures showing all the good stuff that Camaro 69 has been explaining to you, and you will be able to read about many other questions you may have about your car.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When the timing marks line up, the rotor should be pointing to the wire that goes to the #1 (very front drivers side) plug. If it isn't, you need to swap wires at the plugs till they're right.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear member

the very front drivers side pplug on the block, or the dist. cap?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: c4maro
the very front drivers side pplug on the block, or the dist. cap?
I was referring to the spark plug. When referring to the ignition, "plug" means spark plug.
So, with timing marks lined up on balancer and pointer on compression stroke...rotor will be pointing to the #1 terminal on the distributor cap...wire that is connected to #1 terminal on distributor cap goes to the #1 spark plug (the one that goes in the hole that you stuck your finger in).
I really think getting a repair manual as suggested, and reading it carefully, would do you a world of good. It will be the best 20 bucks (or so) you ever spend. And I'm sure it would be coming in handy more than once.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 AM
2nd Gear member

ok, hopefully this is my last reply. i take tap engine over untill piston blows air pushing my finger. then i look at groove and it should be lined up with timing tab. then i look at the rotor and it should be facing the #1 cylinder? becuase thats what is happening. then i put cap and plug back in and my car should start? by the way... NICE 69 camaro!!! i love the color and the topless(hoodless) photo

Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't just stop at#1. If one is wrong, that means you really have at least two that are wrong. You also don'tknow whether or not the passenger side wires got messed up too. Once you get #1 set, followthe diagram starting clockwise on the distributor cap, and trace all the wires down to their respective SPARK PLUGS.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Why are you guys telling him to redo his timing if all he did was take off the spark plug wires? Taking off his spark plug wires doesn't affect his timing, just the firing order. Am I missing something in this post or something from another post?

Quick Reply: 305 firing order. i need some help please