Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

2.8 to 3.4 Need HELP!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Default 2.8 to 3.4 Need HELP!

I am new to this site and so far it is all I thought it would be. I have a 1988 TBI S-10 with a 2.8 that died a very ugly death. I purchased a 1995 3.4 SFI with all the accessories on it to include the PCM. I do not want to re-invent the wheel and I know all the gear heads that have anything to do with a Chevrolet have put any kind of motor into all kinds of vehicles. so---- If you can help me out , I need to know what I need to do to put the Cararo 3.4 in the S-10 and run the SFI and all that goes with it. Any help would be much appreicated.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is the best way and the easiest way. The best way would be to use the PCM and make a new wiring harness and reprogram the PCM to not do all the “other things” is suppose to do. When you turn the PCM on its going to be looking for all the tranny, Vats, ABS, your gages ect…. Being a 95 complicates things cause that is a one year OBD 1.5 system, there is not a lot of support for it. If you had a 96 or 97 those computers can be programmed and tuned at just about any hot rod tuning place.

The easiest way to do the conversion is to use the intake and FI off your S10. It should all bolt up. You will want to port out your intake a little. I think I have a step by step PDF at home. If you PM me a real email address I can email it to you.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I sold the 3.4 from my camaro to a guy that put it in an s10. if its a complete motor and tranny and pcm and wiring harness. then you should just be able to bolt it in and add power and an ignition cable. you shouldn't need to tune the computer for the 3.4 unless your modding the motor. the 3.4 computer has the ability to make some adjustments and learn. if you dont have the tranny use the stuff from the old motor.

im fairly confident the 2.8 and 3.4 are the same blocks. so it should bolt in.

your biggest problem is probably going to be with the vats, and gauges.

there is no thing as odb 1.5 really. all it is really is a odb1 computer that uses odb2 terminal for scanning. the computer in the 95 was the same computer as a 94 and i dont know if the 93 3.4 used the same computer.

Last edited by Adam9066; 05-06-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

He never mention the Tranny so I assume he does not have it. The "tuning" he needs is to get the computer to not look for the tranny, Vats, ABS system.

Oh I don't think using the 2.8 FI system will work. I forgot when I looked into this project I was going to to do it in a 3rd gen but my research show it needed to be a 91 or 92 3.1 because the 3.4 lacks the internals for the distributor

Last edited by Gorn; 05-06-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
He never mention the Tranny so I assume he does not have it. The "tuning" he needs is to get the computer to not look for the tranny, Vats, ABS system.
Yah if it doesnt have the tranny then i dont know. I know there is once company that does due tuning to 3.4 computers odb1 computers. i dont know if they can tune the tranny out. but if he replaced it with a computer from a manual wouldn't that work? As far as the abs i dont know if it was tied into the 3.4 odb1 computer. i though it had its own computer

Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the feed back. No I don't have the trans. I intended to use the 5 speed t-5 that is in the truck. What I got is the motor with alt, ps pump, ac comp., computer and engine wiring. The person that i got the unit from cut the pipes about 10 inches behind the o2 sensors. I don't think the ps pump will work since it was for a rack/ps in the Camaro and the ac will require some junk yard visits to find the hose conectors. I think I might be better off useing the 2.8 stuff and rebuilding the tbi and use injectors from a 4.3. I read some older post that said that is the way to go but I think there might be some newer conversions that have improved since the articales I read were written. I'm not scared of the work to change it all over to run in the S-10, but I do want to drive it daily and with the price of gass I want to sdrive it soon!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Thought I would share some info. I decided to install the 3.4 in the configuration that it came out of the Camaro. After some research I learned that the purchase and install of a VATS bypass module is a must to keep the fuel pump going during the run mode. RThe fuel pump in the tank has to be changed to the same pump that is in the Camaro. I can ust the 5 speed that was in my S-10 as long as I use the 2.8 flywheel and clutch parts. I am having the flywheel resurfaced as I type. The computer is going to be mounted in the general vacinity that it was in the Camaro (right front inner fender area. The computer will also turn on electric fans so I am converting from the S-10 fan clutch to electric fans. I also had to change the motor mounts on the block to the S-10'S. I had to use the S-10 oil pan to clear the cross member. While I had the oil pan off I changed to a new High volume oil pump and installed a new timming gear set. There are other things that I will have to figure out and or change so I will update infoas these things take place, if anyone is interested. All gear heads be Blessed and have a great day.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i wanna see pics of the install please

Search this Thread