Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

wax for black cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Default wax for black cars

I am going to try to detail my car, the only other car I have waxed was my previous bonneville, and I messed it up a little, so I am a little scared, but I feel I have done enough research to do it right. So I was hoping for some suggestions on what to use for a black car, or if it doesn't really matter because a good shine is a good shine. I have been reading good things about meguiars, mothers and zaino. Do they make products specifically for black cars?
Thanks alot

Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: wax for black cars

Nothing special about any wax products (follow the instructions). Wax on and Wax off. When people say they spent hours and hours cleaning & waxing their cars, that only means one thing to me they nelected the car for a long period. My theory is a clean car is easier to keep clean.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Very true and nice Iroc! Haven't seen one that clean in a long time. Basicly I think you're worried about swirl marks left by waxing. My car is black too so what I do to cover any imperfections is use Turtle Wax. They make a colored wax and they have black and red. They used to have others but they stopped selling them. I guess they didn't sell that well. Anyway I use Meguiars and give it a first coat then I'll use the turtle wax to finish it off. Works very well for me.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks alot, real nice car, mine has about half the shine of yours, but i'm going to make her sparkle

Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

Might I suggest a buff job first and the color will really come out. You might have a little oxidation in the paint and buffing it out first will work better.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Currently I use Meguire's paint cleaner, polish, and wax. I too have been looking into products that Zaino has to offer. The only problem I find with them is that they are a little pricey. If I were to use their products what I would try first would be:

Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=Z-PC

Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Code=Z-5

"For the deepest black, the most brilliant blue, or the most captivating red, there is no alternative"

"
owners of dark cars (black, blue, green, red) will take delight in knowing that with just a few simple applications, swirl marks, spider webbing, and other surface headaches will become nothing more than a distant memory."

The first link is for a product that is more abrasive and for deeper imperfections, while the second link is a product for hiding lighter imperfections, but also makes a good polish and sealant.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:55 AM

How do I buff it? with a rotaing power tool? I have one of them. I was going to wash her with dawn, to get everything off, then claybar her withmeguiars showtime something, then wax on wax off wax on wax off untill I thought she was shiny enough.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 AM
May 2007 ROTM

Mothers wax, and the power ball.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

That may take to long considering the power ball is small. Probably best for touch ups and rims. You can get a polisher/sander from any auto parts store but try Harbor Freight if there is one around where you live. You can purchase one for half the price of any auto parts store.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

i stick with mothers.never had a problem with it and its the choice of old people so it must be good.lol

Quick Reply: wax for black cars