Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Washing/Detailing tips or secrets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Washing/Detailing tips or secrets?

Just wondering if anyone out there has any cleaning tips or secrets to make you car look that much better..

I've heard of waxing your wheels after cleaning them, and a few other things.
Recently I used some tire shine on my headlight inlets because they seemed to be slightly faded.. I also sprayed some on my grille. So far I'm satisfied with the results, it looks a lot better than it did before IMO.

Anyone have anything else that isnt obvious?

Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Washing/Detailing tips or secrets?

when you clean your car, scrub your car moving from east to west, not north to south, also when you wax, try doing what i do........... once again move from east to west NO CIRCLES!!! take the wax (paste) put some in your hands, and get it nice and warm then apply with your hands flat going against your panels. that should give you better results. just keep in mind not to do it in direct sunlight, unless you using that ICE stuff, i use it in the direct light with no problems.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM
4th Gear Member

yo bill, i use a meguires cleaner wax on my rims( same ones as you) well, u see the results....

Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

I wash and wax my car at night..No sun to dry to fast and no kids to **** me off. There is this product out there called "Bar Keepers Friend"it takes off rust and is great for your windshield.Its a powder that wont scratch yourglass, it cleans all the crapout of the pits in your windshield.
Here is another one.Use two buckets and two sponges. Both containing the same cleaner, but one for thecar from thebotom of the car to half way up the door/fenders. The botom half of the car contains most grease, dirt, crap that will scratch your paint if caught in your sponge. Then use a differnt sponge from the roof down to middle of the car.
Heres another one. I drive my car up on 2x6 blocks (all 4 tires) so that when you clean your tires and apply the shine to them, you get the bottom of the tire.

And ALWAYSWASH YOUR WHEELS AND TIRES FIRST....because if you are using any chemicals on them that splash on your paint, when you do wash the car, you wash any harsh chemicals off that will damage your finish.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bill12690
I've heard of waxing your wheels after cleaning them, and a few other things.
Recently I used some tire shine on my headlight inlets because they seemed to be slightly faded.. I also sprayed some on my grille. So far I'm satisfied with the results, it looks a lot better than it did before IMO.
you should keep away from the tireshine on body parts. most of the time it is too tacky and a lot of stuff will stick to it and also when it rains, it can run down your paint.

there are now specific products on the market just for that application and they are widely available wherever cleaning supplies are sold

Old 09-29-2007, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear member

mothers metal polish for exhaust tips, rims, grilles i dont know what else it could be used for but it give a beautiful shine.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM
March 2008 ROTM

for those black body parts, mothers makes a product called back to black. apply is same as you would wax. let it haze up and wipe off. I used it on my louvers and the front grille. made them look like new.

as for the waxing. its like anything, the more time you spend on it, the better it comes out. BE PATIENT.

interior. id stay away from armour all at all costs. sure, it looks shiney and all. But that stuff dries out your interior and WILL cause cracks. dust and leave it at that IMO. maybe some kind of cleaner, and im sure there is a conditioner out there that is better than amour all, i just dont know what it is

Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I like using Lexol for my interior. It's so good I even use it on my hand bags

Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 350rs

for those black body parts, mothers makes a product called back to black. apply is same as you would wax. let it haze up and wipe off. I used it on my louvers and the front grille. made them look like new.
Back to black is the best. I use it on all plastic and exterior trim pieces. Last time I claybarred my car I washed it with dish suds to take off the old wax. Then I claybarred it and used Nu Finish Scratch Doctor, then sealed it with Nu Finish. Looks great. I use wax on chrome wheels, not necessarily mine all the time. For the interior I use Armor All, but it is a cleaner/protector, and has a "natural new car look." Long term I'm not too sure. I've been using it for about 2 months though and haven't had any problems. I also saw this one thing on TV today. One of those infomecrials it was called something like Auto Scratch Remover. It came with some paste thing and an automatic hand held applicator. Don't know how good it is, but it looked cool and was only $19.95!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah, i've used back to black (i should actually find mine, i seemed to have lost it) The tire shine gives it a nice shine and brings back some of the black, but later I washed it off anyway. I use too much on the tires to use it on the headlights anyway. But, i've got the famous LT1 front bumper paint problems.. lol

Quick Reply: Washing/Detailing tips or secrets?