Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

treating leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default treating leather

hey, ive done a lot of details in my time, but i was never really too sure what to do with the leather... i mean i know they have conditioners for it and stuff but i normally leave that to the other people to do the conditioning. i mean is it just a wipe on / wipe off kindof thing? if someone can tell me how to do this that would be great. so ill stop looking like a complete ******bag infront of my friends when i dont know what im doing, haha. thanks

Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: treating leather

you first want to thoroughly vacuum your interior, then get a leather cleaner (I use Lexol brand) and wipe down the interior with it. after that you need to get a conditioner (Lexol again) and rub it in. after it sits for a minute or two, wipe the excess off.

once this is all done you want to do what most people neglect to do. you want to buff it out with a clean rag. this gets any gloss to go away and it also makes sure the conditioner penetrates the leather and lets it do it's job instead of just sitting on the surface where it will wipe away in just a few days

Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM

I got my '96 Z about a month ago, and one of the first things I did was to get a leather conditioner. I don't know how long was the last time the previous owner did it, so the leather was feeling a bit dry (specially with the FL sun coming through the T-tops, I will tint them as I did with my previous 3rd. gen). I am using Meguiar's rich leather cream on a weekly basis, and with about 3 applications so far I can tell the difference. the leather feels more supple, flexible, softer and with a deeper black tone. There are some creases that won't go away, but at least they look better.

I first wiped the leather with a clean damp cloth (was pretty clean to start with) and then applied the cream, working in small areas and working the cream into the leather in a circular motion. Then I buffed it with another lint free cloth, it's that easy. The Meguiar's cream is a one step product and is pretty thick. Other brands have a separate cleaner / protectant. In the past I also got good results on leather with Zymol products.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Lexol is an awesome brand. My bf uses it in his car (I dont have leather) but I do use it on my leather hand bags.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 PM

im puting leather seats in my 86