Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

sigh.. i scratched my car today

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!
Default sigh.. i scratched my car today

I spent hours washing and prepping for a wax job. It's been several months.

I get all ready to wax, and get started. I started on the roof, then went to the hood, then to some other parts. I saw that the wax (nxt generation tech wax) was getting hazy. I started to buff the roof, and I was having a very hard time getting it off, so I started to bear down on it some. Got it off the roof - looked great. Then, I moved to the hood and had to but some pressure on the microfiber buffing towel to get all the hazy wax residue off. I was buffing back and forth and in circular motions. Then, all the sudden, I start to see some pale hairline circles showing up. I gasped, and thought it was probably just a fly that landed on teh hood and that I was smearing the guts, or maybe there it was just some wax that smeared.. I started to buff over it and discovered that it was not coming off....... I guess there was a small particle of somethign in my towel (I never saw what it was).

But now, I have some pretty unsightly circular scratches smack-dab in the middle of my immaculate mirror-like red hood. It's actually kind of noticable. I went and sat on the porch for 30 minutes trying not to vomit, then went back and started trying to remove it using ScratchX. I rubbed, rubbed, and rubbed and the scratches will not budge (it doesn't appear that the scratchx is damaging the surrounding areas, either). But they are hairline scratches - I can not feel a thing with my fingernail.

wtf do I do. I'm kinda freaking out. Is scratchX my best bet, aside from wet sanding (which scares me)?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Dominos Puck
Default RE: sigh.. i scratched my car today

Here's a pic.

I don't want it to sound like I put 100s of swirl marks in it with the towel. That's not what I mean. The scratches appear kinda fuzzy in the picture. I wonder if the scratch is actually really deep, but so thin that I can't feel it with my fingernail. Maybe I'll never get it out.

I donno. I might just have to suck it up. Lord knows I've tried as hard as I can to preserve this car, but **** happens.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5989/05E26AC9FFDF44328F46882EEEE05CB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Dominos Puck

Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Dude...chill out. Get some Meguiars #9 Swirl remover and an electric buffer and go to town, then procede to wax the area again, that will take care of most scratches.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Dominos Puck

I took the car to a body shop to get an opinion. He looked at the scratches and said I should try Meguiars #1. He said to look at auto parts stores.

Today, I looked at an advance, an auto zone, an o reilly's, and then another advance and did not find meguiars #1 or #9. I saw #7 and some other stuff, but that looked like it had a different purpose.

So I tried Nu Finish Scratch doctor. It looks like I spent $10 on the same crap I tried before (scratch X, but at least I borrowed that and didn't buy it).

The guy at the body shop said that I shouldn't have to use a buffer with #1, and that I should see pretty immediate results just by using my hand. I tried using the nu funish for quite a while, and saw very little difference.

My question is, since I didn't find #1 or #9 anywhere, do you think it's worth ordering online? Or will it be another wasted $10? I know you can't see the scratches for youself. And I'm no expert, but they don't look very serious.

Perhaps I should try a buffer, or get another opinion at a different body shop.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Dominos Puck

Sorry I posted this in gen tech.

A moderator can move it to detailing if he wants to.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

There you go. I am actually hoping you get a definitive answer, I have a similar problem, slightly deeper caused by a bike.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm with the corporal on this one. I've got some on my hood too, gonna have to check out the #1 and #9 stuff.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Dominos Puck

I took my car by a different body shop and talked to another guy today (he's a friend of the family). He looked at the scratches and didn't think they looked too serious. But he wasn't suprised either that the scratch X didn't work. The way he made it sound, scratch X is almost kind of a gimick. He said it was mainly just car wax, with a SLIGHT tiny bit of abrasiveness. He agreed that Meguiars #1 or #9 should do the trick.

None of the auto parts stores have meguiars 1 or 9, so I'm going to start looking at paint stores.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puck90a

ahahahah^

Quick Reply: sigh.. i scratched my car today