Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

pls tell me - do I wax or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!
Default pls tell me - do I wax or not?

I've read and read and read about different kinds of wax products and I can never feel sure that I know what I need. I just bought an IMMACULATE (I repeat) IMMACULATE red 1995 camaro z28. The paint is beautiful. I don't want to know what I need to do to polish and repair it, because nothing is wrong with it. I just want to know what I need to do to preserve and protect it. I know I don't want a cleaner or an abrasive. So wouldn't I want a sealant instead? Would pure wax be ok? Or will even pure wax (no cleaning ingrediants) not be good either (like P21S)? What's a good product to use in my situation and how often should it be applied?

Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: pls tell me - do I wax or not?

I'm going to be honest. Use claybar to take all theimpurities (such as exhaust andindustral fall out and all that good stuff)out of the pores of thepaint. It is non abrassive and then seal it with a regular wax like Meguire's Gold Class Wax. I have done professional details and that won't leave any swirls in the paint, but it will seal the pores with wax. The regular clay bars on the shelf at murrays or autozone aren't "heavy" enough of a cut to really make a difference. Go to http://www.detailyourcar.com and get thegrey clay bar. You SHOULD geta bottle of the wax enhancer to use as lubricant. But Meguir's quick detail spray will work just as well. Soapy water will deteriorate the clay. The best way to apply wax for a first timer is by hand and the Gold Class package has a foam applicator inside.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

The best I can reccomend would be to wash, dry, claybar, and wax. I use Meguire's Gold Class Car Wash, Mother's California Gold claybar package,(comes with lube) and Meguire's Gold Class Wax. There are better claybars out there, but since I claybar newer vehicles reguarly it doesn't seem to matter. If you have any plastic lens clouding such as on your tailights or parking lights, Meguire's makes a cleaner called Plastix whcih seems to be decent.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mother's clay bar doesn't have enough of a "cut" to make that impressive of a difference.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

What do you look for in a claybar when buying one?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shnormo

Mother's clay bar doesn't have enough of a "cut" to make that impressive of a difference.
I'm not quite understanding what you mean by 'cut' with a clay bar?

Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 PM
January 2007 ROTM

????????????????????????????????????????

Old 01-18-2007, 12:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

When you clay the car use warm water. Clay the car after you wash it Don't try it cause it's kind of pointless when you're going to use water to clay the car. Puck where you from?

Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

Cut is just how much stuff it can take out.
ORIGINAL: Dan88IROC Z

ORIGINAL: shnormo

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by 'cut' with a clay bar?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure about this, but someone stated to use warm water when claybarring (haven't tried). Is that suppose to be used as a lubricant? I just clay barred my dad's C5 yesterday, and it didnt seem to do much except to make it smooth, and left most swirl marks. Would a higher cut take out swirl marks, or do I have to get those out when waxing after, and would a different lubricant make a signifigantdifference?