Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Claybar, buffing, waxing...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Claybar, buffing, waxing...?

So I just got a new SS and sold my V-6 and have to start over again on the waxing etc to get it like my V-6 was. What's the best process to do to clean, restore, and wax? Claybar, paint cleaner, buff, then wax or....?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Claybar, buffing, waxing...?

I'd use the same process you did with your V6 that made it so shiny.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

wash
clay bar
polish & scratches
wax

Just generally how I do it. If you do that the first weekend, then wash & wax it the very next weeked. You can start to put a few layers on and get the liquid effect with the light more.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, my last one I just waxed the crap out of it all the time but it didnt really give it the shine I wanted and have seen in other cars the same color as mine.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slick6

Ok, my last one I just waxed the crap out of it all the time but it didnt really give it the shine I wanted and have seen in other cars the same color as mine.
Could be the wax your using or it could be that your paint had lost its luster. Get some good Mothers wax and see how that works for you.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

There's no shine like Mother's.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i still cant find an actual WAX by mothers. only cleaner waxes

Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 350rs

i still cant find an actual WAX by mothers. only cleaner waxes
That is the mothers wax. But they also have a synthetic wax, if your instressted you can check out their website.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Slick6 that is one of the nicest SS's I've seen!

After a good hand wash, (eeew@ automatics :P) then you can buff out whatever scuffs or blemishes that you find before claybarring it.
One of the main things with producing a high shine and maintaining it consistantly is ClayBar, After every wash (or every other wash) Clay bar it each time before you wax, As you know the clay bar takes off all residue that is missed in a wash, so when you wax it w/o claybar you are just masking the particle
I would use either a Medium or Fine Grade. I would use Meguiar's quick detailer with the bar for a nice shine, Followed by Either Mother's, Meguiars, or Simoniz Liquid Diamond, Another thing that maintains that Perfect shine is a Teflon based spray, My father runs a Simoniz Distribution Warehouse, so i can get the name of it and price, He uses that on his 98 Cadillac and it protects and enhances the clear coat making his 10 year old car look as shiny as an 08 model.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ive worked at a "auto" ish car wash for the last 3 years. There are many many customers that come through several times a week since ive been there and before. their cars STILL look new as the first time they brought them through. Aside from the usual scratches and dings that come on a daily commute to work. GRANTED, im sure they take the time to wax it. but they look great.

Ours is touchless with us drying the car at the end though. im sure that has something to do with it. There are some chemicals back there ( boost and boost 699 for those of you who know) that are pretty hardcore though. the 699 will eat your skin!! forget that. lol. I had a chemical burn from that stuff for months on my head cleaning overhead equipment when i was bald.. lol

Quick Reply: Claybar, buffing, waxing...?