Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Security System Lock Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Default Security System Lock Out

Maybe some of you have experienced this problem is the past and can provided guidence.

I own a 96 Camaro and I replaced the battery a few weeks ago. As soon as I tried to start the car the security display came on in the dash. No start. Got out of the car, turned on and off the remote lock, got back in and it started.

Ever since then, sometimes this works and some times it does not. If the car if left for a a few minutes, hours or days then is might start again. I tried a second set of keys with no change. I cannot trust taking the care anywhere if I need to turn it off.

About one and half years ago, I had the same problem but the battery was not replaced.

Took it to the Chevrolet dealer, they kept for a week and it started every day, they suggested changing out the ignition switch as the steering wheel hub was being replaced. A week later the same problem and towed it back to the dealer. So much for their hunch that it was the ignition switch.

The finally advised me that ithe problem was a module ( security? ) located at the passengers kick panel. $400 I beleive was the cost Not sure if this is the the engine management system. Now this part is out of warranty.

I was hoping that there might be some procedure when you remove the 12vdc power or replace a battery, i.e. have the key in the ignition when the battery is removed and replaced. It is hard to beleive that the ECU or whatever it is failed again.

I hate taking the car to a dealer!!

Regards,

J. Kerr

Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Security System Lock Out

Does your key have a resistor pellet? If the key has a resitor, you can measure the resistor and insert a permanent one on the key sensor leads and permanently bypass the resistor in the key. However, if the security module is bad. the modification wont help. In this case the security module must be replaced, or the PCM tuned so that the security module is deleted in software.
www.pcmforless.com