Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

having problems! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default having problems! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Iwas driving to my family get-together today for Thanksgiving and about 2 miles before i got there my check engine light came on and felt like the car was about to stall at one timebut it kept runninguntil i turnedit off. After i turnedit offi tried to start it backup to see what it would do and all it woulddo is turn over. I tried to blink the code out by jumping the pins with the key on and engine off but all it would do is turn the fans on and the light would not blinkthe code. It should at least blink a 12 but nothing. I could hear the fuel pump running as usual when i turned the key on. So i knew thatwas working fine and Ijust changed the fuel filter.
Ipulled a plug wire off and held it up to the exhaust manafold with a scredriver in it to see if it was getting fire and it wasnt getting any at first.I had my wife turn on it a few times and the second time she turned on it a yellow/orangespark jumped the gap and it started up.(and also bit mepretty good LOL, was very tingly[:@])I told her to cut it off as soon as it started andI put the wire back on the spark plugand tried to start it again and it wouldnt. It would just turn over.
As long as i had one wire off it would start after turning on it a couple of times(i did this several times). I guess because it creates more resistance with thewire offand pulls more voltage through the system and gets it going.
The car has had a new msd distributor, cap, rotor and msd ignition coil, msd wires and new plugsjust recently put on by the previous owner.
I think thecar has a weak spark causing it not to start.Does anyoneknowwhat could cause this? Could the rotor buttonor cap be worn out already? Could it be the control module?? Coil?
I have read some posts that say the connectors could be corroded. I have some electric parts cleaner.I am going to pull all the connectors a spray em down and clean them tomorrow and see if that helps.
If anyone has had an experience like this with their car please help. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: having problems! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

After you clean everything off and reconnect check the coil. Might want to replace the cap, rotor, plugs and wires.