Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Computer/Fuel Pump

Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Default Computer/Fuel Pump

I plan on tearing the computer out of my 1991 RS. I've been told it affects the fuel pump and I've been told it doesn't. But if I have to change the fuel pump, is there any way I could use an in-line fuel regulator and bypass dropping the tank?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Computer/Fuel Pump

in-tank pumpsare always better than inline pumps. although im not sure about it affecting the pump. the 91s were tbi right? the fuel pump should, i believe, have a constant output, and the throttle body controls the fuel output to the engine.

only way the fuel pump is affected is if the computer increases voltage with rpm.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 AM

But what I'm planning on doing is doing a COMPLETE swap. Removing all computer components. From TBI to carburetor. I've been told so many different things about what I will have to do with the fuel pump that I'm just confused now.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Ninja Administrator

if thats the case the safest route seems to be a walbro 255 in take pump which is run directly off the battery (or on relay). then you would need a fuel pressure regulator up by the motor. that ought to do it for you though.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 AM

Sweet deal. Much appreciated.....

Another thing...

I'm not sure about the numbers, but I'm pretty sure the current fuel pump pumps something like 6 times the pressure needed for a carburetor. Is there a regulator that will bring the pressure down by that much?....I mean, if I know what I'm even talking about.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Keep your electric pump in the tank. With the computer out, you're going to need to hot-wire the fuel pump to keep it running. Install a fuel pressure regulator under the hood, 4-5 psi is all a carb needs. Be sure to use a return style regulator, and connect it to your existing return line. The return line keeps fuel free flowing in a loop, returning what gas isn't being used by the engine. Without a return, the pump will be trying to push a lot more than the regulator will allow, which puts a strain on the pump and can make it burn out sooner.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:04 AM

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I wasn't sure how possible it was to drop the pressure down to that required 4-5 psi.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Look online at places like Summit, Jegs. Check the rating on the regulator to make sure it will go down to the level you need. Ones designed for use with a carb will.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 AM

Thanks a lot. According to my specs...TBI should run between 9 and 13 psi. I was told something completely different earlier in the day. I think I'm all set now. Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Ninja Administrator

sorry, i assumed u realized the fuel pressure regulator would do that. of course ive never had to install one so its still good that 69 came in here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Computer/Fuel Pump