Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Subwoofers with stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Subwoofers with stock radio

I was wondering if this is possible to do? I would also keep the original speakers that came in the car stock and only add the woofers for bass. Is this possible and if so how would it sound? I want the bass and some good sound but don't want to spend gobs of money on it either. Let me know what you think. Your feedback is highly appreciated. The car is a 95 Z28 with the OEM CD player and bose speakers.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Subwoofers with stock radio

you need to get an amplifier as well btw

As for hooking it up to the stock radio, as long as in has a place to run the output lines/remote wire, then it will work...would I recommend it...no, I'd definetely get an aftermarket CD player, it will sound a lot better.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: badinfluenceRS

you need to get an amplifier as well btw

As for hooking it up to the stock radio, as long as in has a place to run the output lines/remote wire, then it will work...would I recommend it...no, I'd definetely get an aftermarket CD player, it will sound a lot better.
ok, if I get an aftermarket cd player with an amp and subs will the OEM speakers sound ok without being amplified also?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

They will sound better with an aftermarket

Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The whole setup will sound decent, even with the stock radio. There is an option called 'High-Level Input' that you can use if the amplifier has this feature. badinfluence has a good point though, it will sound a lot better with an aftermarket stereo, so will your other speakers...and to answer your question about your stock speakers sounding good, yea they will sound good, but nothing like if they were amplified...keep in mind though, if you want to power your whole system via 1 amplifier, you'll need a 4-6 channel amp, if not, you can opt out to 2 amps. But thats a different story.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:21 AM
4th Gear Member

Are the stock BOSE speakers still good?

It all depends on what you want...I love music, so I have aftermarket everything. Also if your going to amplify the speakers, I would get two amps and a Capacitor (I always use a capacitor). Two Amps would give you more power and allow you to adjust speakers and subs to different settings

Another recommendation ...get good wiring, that way if you ever upgrade, you wont have to re-run upgraded wiring. I had to re-run 10 gauge wire over to 2 gauge, so you might as well just get it to start out with, making upgrading wattage easier. (I went from 480watts to 2480 watts )

Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

^^^Agreed.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:51 AM
4th Gear Member

hey vyper...are your subs sealed in boxs beneath that platform?

Old 02-09-2007, 02:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

If you have a line level output converter you will have a voltage preamp. It'll sound better with it. You can use line level inputs. The stock Bose speaker are good.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea, the box is sealed...costed me $80 for the box, not bad considering I didn't have a saw at the time I bought that box. It sounds really nice, but I need to upgrade that pic, i've rearranged and made things a big neater back there since that was taken.

Quick Reply: Subwoofers with stock radio