Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

subwoofer and amp question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Default subwoofer and amp question

Here's the low down. When I bought my Camaro, it had an amplifier in the back. It's a JBL amp, and according to the website, it is 150 watt single channel amp, with two outputs. I don't listen to music very often when I'm driving, so this seems to have enough power for me. The problem is that there was no sub. I just want a little extra "kick" to my music. Would 2 small subs, or 1 large one be recomended? Tube or box? I'm completely new to all this, so any help is nice. I'm on a budget that doesn't really exist, so I'll be buying used ones, or shopping at discount websites. The amp was seemingly professionally installed. Should I keep this amp too? I've heard JBL is a good brand. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: subwoofer and amp question

well bro im not gunna lie to you. 150 watt watts coming out isnt gunna power much of anything. If your not into pounding that much and just want a clear, crisp sound, i would invest in some nice speakers for your doors and the back seat and amp those. If you buy 3-way speakers you can get your bass from them too by just lowering the mid and highs from them. But if u insist on having bass, I would look into a Bazooka Tube. Its a little tube with an 8 or 10 inch sub in it that has a built in amp that will power it. Finding where to put the tube is the hard part though

Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I've already got 3-ways, so that is covered. I just saw the amp, and thought I sould hook something to it. I can't afford to buy another amp and sub, so I thought I'd use what I had.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a JBL 150 watt amp in my s10 pushing a JL Audio W1, like sicked_wick said it's not gonna knock the windows out, but with the right box it will be enough to rattle the mirrors a little Since you said you aren't really an audiophile, I wouldn't see any problem with getting a decent 10 with a good box and you would probably be happy. The most important part to remember when doing a sub is that the box is the most important aspect of the build.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks, that is helpful. 10" it is. I should get a 150 watt woofer, correct?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya. Something around that ballpark. It might be good to go a little over that in case you want to upgrade your amp in the future.
Hopefully someone will chime in if I am misleading our new friend

Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well if the amp is 150 RMS power not Peak power go with a 150 watt RMS Sub...if it is 150 watts PEAK go with a sub that 150 Peak and this is important Peak is the top power the sub will run at and the rms is what it normally runs at....this is important because if you under power or over power a sub u can blow the voice coil..But you do have some give an take room between the number just get as close as possable...Next 35th is correct the box is your starting point a few hints i can give to you is make it out of 3/4 MDF wood and air seal the box OF COURSE but make sure you try to have as few 90 degree angles as possable you will get a better sound pushed out..and i recom WOOD because Fiberglass it may look good but it gives a very Tingy Hit

Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

What about port tubes? I've been doing some research. Should I just have a sealed box, or should I put some of these funnel-looking tubes in it as well?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: musicman

What about port tubes? I've been doing some research. Should I just have a sealed box, or should I put some of these funnel-looking tubes in it as well?
Stay away from bazooka tubes, if that's what you are talking about.
The differences in sealed/ported boxes are personal opinion (similar to best exhaust) and just depends on what sound you are looking for. Again, I would just try to find a decent 10 inch driver and you should be happy

Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: subwoofer and amp question