Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

stereo wiring draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default stereo wiring draining battery

so im planning to purchase a 1974 camaro from my uncle, but the thing is, he took it to a "buddy" to have his new deck hooked up, and now the battery drains when its off and has to be charged before every start. i dont know a lick about stereos or wiring so if anybody has some suggestions of what itcould beplease let me know. is this a simple fix?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: stereo wiring draining battery

I have never heard of or witnessed a deck that would drain the battery so I'm thinking that there may be another cause to the battery drain. But if you would like to check out the install it's very simple. GM has used the same wire color to designate hot wires from ground wires for the longest time so what you can do is pull out the deck. GM uses the following.......

Yellow - always a hot wire.
Orange - a switched on hot wire. Done by turning the key to the accesory position.
Red - also an accesory type hot wire.
Black - ground

Look at the wiring on the deck and like the wires above most stereo's have their wireing the same with a few exceptions. (I've seen blue used as a always hot wire on rare occasions.) Simply match up the wires and you should be good. Hope this helped.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear member

is the stereo on all the time like when you have the key out you can still play the stereo,if you can then who ever hooked it up did not use the stock wiring,they hooked it up to a source that is all ways on what you want to do is figure out were all the wiresare hooked up and seewere theHOT wire is hooked up to and try to find a source that turns off with the key.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

e thing was happening to my 96 camaro after i installed my stereo, what it might be is just your battery with a bad cell as it was in my case, this often happens when installing pionner decks because of there weird harnesses on higher end decks, dont ask me why but try to get your battery tested first.