Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

New system in my 99 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

what did u to about mounting your amp?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

u put it in between my box and the rear of the car, i dont recommend it do because it can get hot there but ima redo my whole system once i get make a new box

Old 04-21-2009, 01:03 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Totally untrue carnage9, the better ground you have the more effectively your system will be. I didn't believe it at first either, had mine grounded in the back. But after I ran the ground up the battery, it's getting more volts, hits harder, and my amps aren't getting as hot, don't know why that is for sure. And it's not pulling on my electrical system as hard as it used to. I'm telling you, I did the research on this because I didn't believe it also. But the alloy bodies on these cars doesn't conduct electricity good enought to support a system that's over 400 watts. Your amps will starve for power because of the poor ground. Try it and you'll see it. I will tell you that it's a pain in the butt running two 0 gauge wires though the car!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:49 PM

thanks for the ocmments guys =) and carnage9 i like ur sig =) makes me feel the same way =D xD

Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM

yeah i found that out at first with my subs that putting the ground in the car somewhere other than the seatbolt and the battery wht tends to happen is ur subs get power but dont have the ground to stop it...so they will just kinda "snap" if you want to say and hit full pwoer and slap as hard as they can til either the car or radio is turned off....but i still have my ground in the fenderwel cause like greenarrow said...good luck tryign to run 2 0 gauge wires...

Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

greenarrow, maybe you misunderstood me, a good ground is a very important part of any electrical system since electricity starts at the ground, what i meant was running another wire from the amp to the battery would be worse because it would mean that the ground had to travel a longer distance when there is no point. A ground is a ground no matter what. As long as you clean off the paint and secure it nicely and make sure that everything from a ipod charger to your amp is grounded properly then you should experience a good clean sound and voltage. Im currently running a 1500rms amp class b/d at 1 ohm and a kinetik battery that eats voltage so i think i would to know a lil sumtin my voltage never drops below 12v

Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell

so GL are you saying that you should run the ground wire to the neg post on the battery? I have a thousand watt amp and two 1200 watt subs. I also have a 1 farad cap and a second battery and it still drains quite a bit of power when it hits.

Also does that sub box cover have a brand name on it anywhere? I want to see if they make them for a 3rd gen. It really makes your setup look great.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell

nevermind about the sub box, I found it on q logics website. they run about 320 bucks

Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by adirtypoostick
so GL are you saying that you should run the ground wire to the neg post on the battery? I have a thousand watt amp and two 1200 watt subs. I also have a 1 farad cap and a second battery and it still drains quite a bit of power when it hits.

Also does that sub box cover have a brand name on it anywhere? I want to see if they make them for a 3rd gen. It really makes your setup look great.
Yeah, home runing the ground to the negative terminal is better than just grouding to the body. There's less resistance even though your running longer cable. And resistance will hurt the performance of your amp. I have two 600 watt amps, 1.5 farad cap, and a 250 amp alternator on one battery and you can still see the volt gauge drop when it hits deep, but it's not nearly as much as when it was grounded in the back to the body. The body's of cars after mid 1980's are not completely steel, they are an alloy and don't conduct as well as a power wire. You can test it yourself, test the resistance of the ground from your grounding point to the negative terminal and then test a distance of wire. Think about it, the ground, no matter where you put it is going back to the ground on the battery. The less resistance the better.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

greenarrow no offense but your on something (ok maybe a lil offense) ask anybody who has actually does this stuff hardcore on a daily basis and they will tell you the same thing. Im running over 2000watts RMS fosgate that are b/d class so yes they are a lil more power hungry than most amps. Im using a kinetic gel cell battery HC800 in the back and 0/1 wire, and i dont get noticeable voltage drops. **** i can play my system with my car off without it crapping out on me. As long as you ground your car properly and keep it short (no longer than 3ft) then your ground will be better then running it to your battery up front. Maybe your battery wasnt trowing a proper ground to the chassis. Did you upgrade the stock wiring? Big 3?

adirtypoostick- what kind of battery are you running in the back, a normal battery wont do much. Get a gel cell like kinetic or optima. I use to run about 1200 watts qith my 801s and my lights dint dim.

Ive installed 4000watt+ systems so i know what im talking about. When i say 4000 i mean 4000+ with birthsheets, not kenwood, lanzar, performance technique, or bs amps. I mean amps that put out over 4000+ watts at 14.4 volts

Quick Reply: New system in my 99 Camaro