Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Need Basic Audio Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Post Need Basic Audio Help.

Alright everybody, I want to replace my stock non premium stereo system with something aftermarket. My car just has the four speaker setup. I've never really done anything with audio, and honestly, don't know where to start. I've searched the forums, but everybody has put in extra amps for a system that booms, which I don't need/want. I just want to replace my speakers and head unit with something that looks good and sounds good (clear, low distortion), it doesn't have be loud, I don't want to rewire, nothing major. Anyway, I just need some suggestions, for example what adapters will I need, mounting brackets, etc. If you can point me in the right direction, help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

to just change the head unit and speakers all youll need is the dash install kit (theres a couple diff styles for these cars) the wiring harness adapter (you wire this to the new deck and then just plug it into the stock wiring) and obviously the head unit and speakers

Old 06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OK thanks a lot. I was thinking that was it but didn't want to buy a big order of stuff to find its all useless because I'm missing something. You prevent blowing out the new speakers by having the peak wattage of the speakers higher than the peak wattage of the head unit, correct?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

most head units are 55 watts per speaker for optimal sound you wanna try to come close to that the 220 watt speakers you get at most stores sound like crap with out an amp because there sooooooooo under powered

if i were you id still get a sub tho something small like a low watt 10 and a small amp it wont be bolt loosening loud but will give a needed bass kinda like a 5.1 home theater system

Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

When you talk about an amp, how much wattage are you thinking? How difficult would it be to wire an amp/sub, any suggestions on where to hide them, I don't want my car to be broken into. Good thing my sister just told me there's some openings at the local Papa Murphy's, I'm gonna need some more work to pay for this .
By the way, thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions.

EDIT: Just browsed through Bestbuy's website, and I've read nothing but good reviews about Kicker speakers and subs. So I'm thinking Kicker 11KS60 2 ways, 6.5", 390 watt peak, and a Kicker 10C104 10 inch comp subwoofer 300W peak, still not sure about the amp, not too sure how much wattage I need. I hope these were close to what you were suggesting. Still not sure about headunits, not sure which features I need. Thanks again.

Last edited by Basic96Camaro; 06-28-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ok so the reason you read nothing but good things about kicker is because there the best there motto is "livin loud" and they live up to that 100% as for the speakers those 6.5s are going to be all highs (thats why your going to want the sub) as for the amp if the sub is 300 watts peak than that make 150 watts continuous power id get a 100 watt 2 channel amp and bridge it between the 2 channels that way youll be pumping 200 watts to the sub then you can just tune it to a level you like

btw whats you budget for this project

Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Funny you should ask about budget because I was just thinking the same thing. I'm not too sure, right now I'm pretty much making my money doing odd jobs, I'm thinking I'll have ~$250-$375 in the next two weeks and I'm going to apply for a job Thursday at the pizza joint where I think I can find a real job. If I'm hired, it will increase my budget some more. I was thinking for now I might just get a head unit and 2 pairs of 6.5" speakers I was talking about earlier and I would just have to live without a sub and an amp for a little while until I can find the money for them. But I'm still not sure how high up the spectrum I want to go for the head unit, I'm not sure if my local radio stations broadcast in HD, so thats not really necessary, and my phone is old as dirt (Bluetooth not priority), and I have an iPod Mini (USB functionality?), so I don't really need too much except an aux jack, and something with customizability/options so I can adjust my speakers vs. sub when I get one, and it needs to spit out good wattage for the speakers. As always, thanks for helping me out here.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright, found the install bracket, HU, speakers, everything I want, I think I'm staying with just an HU and speakers because that will pretty much eat up my budget. I plan on later adding a sub/amp. Which wiring harness do I need? there's a Radio Wiring Harness or a Antenna Adaptor, do I need one or both of these? Hopefully this will be the final question, unless I run into issues installing these.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

When you go to buy a sub and amp hit up craigslist you can usually find good stuff cheap as for the wiring you'll need both the wiring harness adaptor and the antenna adaptor they should come together

Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Overdrive Member

You can find if stations near you broadcast in HD here:
HD Radio | More Music. More Stations. More Features. Digital Sound. No Subscription.

Quick Reply: Need Basic Audio Help.