Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

My iPod setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My iPod setup

I finally got around to getting my iPod connected. I was looking for a high quality, direct connection to the stock Monsoon head unit. To do this I got this kit from neocaraudio.com:

The harness on the left goes from the head unit to the Neo adapter module (center), and on the right is the cable going to the iPod. Pretty self explanatory.

Fortunately this is a GM interior, meaning there are large gaps between the various panels and consoles, letting me run the cable right through without drilling anything. Try that in a high quality Lexus interior! The white adapter module is behind the stereo and heater controls. There's actually a lot of space back there.

My iPod sits nicely in the ashtray.

The sound quality is excellent since it's a direct connection, CD quality or better, and it charges the iPod as well. Also the steering wheel controls work with it. So if this is the kind of setup you're looking for in your car, I highly recommend going this route.

Last edited by DMateo; 03-08-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Overdrive Member

very nice, im not much with electrical stuff(i hate it actually lol), but i just got a sony head unit with a aux input

Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dude, I will tell you that that's probably the best I've seen someone hook up an ipod to a factory stereo. An aftermarket head unit would of allowed you to hook it up much easier and control it using the head unit. but I can understand not wanting to mess with the factory monsoon system.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, yeah I considered getting an aftermarket head unit, but I like the look of the factory unit and was worried that for $80-90 an aftermarket wouldn't sound as good. The adapter kit was $99, and still lets me control the iPod through the head unit and steering wheel controls. One other thing I might add is that this kit doesn't lock out the iPod, you still have access to its screen.

Last edited by DMateo; 02-23-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Another note if you're interested: the best deal I can find on this adapter kit right now is $135 here:

http://www.icarkits.com/advanced_sea...icle=1&sort=4d

It's $200 on the Neo site

Old 03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Looks great DMateo. I too prefer leaving the interior stock with the factory HU, but want something better than the FM transmitters. I'll have to start saving up for this. Excellent find!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Overdrive Member

The best kit for Camaros are USA-Spec, since they do the same, but also include additional RCA jacks for a 2nd input besides your iPhone/iPod! That's what I have. For 98-02 Camaros:
http://www.usaspec.com/ipod_product_.../pa11-gm45.pdf

Also, a nice integration for the iPod/phone is the ProClip -- first you chose the custom mount for the Camaro, then custom mount for the device you have -- works great. The picture attached is for the Camaro mount only (by the steering wheel side of the radio), the device part screws into this.

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...p_leftorright=

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 03-18-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I spent $15 on an FM broadcaster. Plugs into the 12-volt socket, charges the iPod, and plays over an empty frequency. Can be used in any vehicle of any year, make, model, as long as it has FM radio, and it can be easily transferred.

Works just fine for me. Mind you, when I'm driving the Camaro, at least half the time I prefer to just listen to the car itself

Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an aftermarket head unit that has the very same thing only difference is my iPod cable runs to my glove compartment, and my iPod gets locked out. whole head unit only cost me $250 installed. I would've stuck with the factory unit if I could've, but when I got the car the factory head unit and amp were fried and the factory speakers were all blown, so I just spent the money on a sound system.

Last edited by SSV6; 03-07-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm considering one of those ProClip mounts, it may be more secure than the ashtray.

Where I live FM transmitters don't work that well, there are too many stations here, so a lot of interference. But whatever works for you. I agree I love just listening to the car, that's why I usually have my windows down, but I also got to have my music on the 45 min drive to work.

Last edited by DMateo; 03-08-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: My iPod setup