Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

my box that i made,

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:40 PM
April 2008 ROTM
Default RE: my box that i made,

It's not just that the subs are not "top of the line"

I am assuming these are in a sealed enclosure, correct? Do you know the volume of the enclosure? A ported alignment is very much more complicated and you cannot just add "holes" aka ports (more like tubes, ports have a calculated length to them for whatever frequency you want/need to tune the enclosure to) to make it louder. Do you have any info on the enclosure?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

i had a guy look at my box and he was very impressed on how my box was built and how well it sounded. he said if any thing the ports where a little to big but not bad. he said to put some sound dampening or what ever it is, and it will bring back the harder hit and will still get the low bass. i will post more pics as soon as i ca i keep fprgeting to get the pics off of my laptop. i understand how the amp sucks o well i get what i can take.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 AM
1st Gear Member

He's probably talking about polyfill to stuff inside the box. It supposedly fakes a little more airspace without having a bigger box. It's not something you have to pack in there tight, just put some in there. Kinda like cotton fluff, but usually it's like fiberglass or polyester. (Think fabric store pillow stuffing). I have seen honest to goodness fiberglass home insulation used as well. I don't know how effective any of that is, but people seem to swear by it.

If you go to your favorite car audio supplier and ask for poly fill they should know what you're talking about.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

cool thanks i should try the insalation lol.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
4th Gear Member

dont bust on him bout the box and all. it looks good, which is what most people look for, though, i understand fully what your saying about sony and dual, though, subs can be good if you build box right. amps are what you have to look out for. you get what you pay for in amps. and yes. polyfill be great in box. this is my ride and my install: http://www.carstereo.com/installs/ph...galleryid=2901

not everything that was in it when i sold though. had a Soundstream* amp, that i never got a pick of, was a soundstream PCA1000D(Soundstream does actually have really good products FYI.)

Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93Z28joel

i have the amp screwed into the box.i will take more pics tonight. i think i need to make the holes bigger this is my first box i have ever made so dont hate. and the kid that is all oo sony and dual get a lif andshut up i got the stuff for free and i dont think it maters what kind of amp it is a 1200 watt no mater how you look at it. i know the subs suck but i dont need it to blow a back window..... Has any one ever done thatin a f body i think it would be kinda easy?????????

no, it's really hard, with 2 12"s sealed, i could make my rear window flex 2-3 inches, and i kept having problems ratting side mirrors out. never broke though. there's a video somewhere i'll try to find, of a guy with 2 18"s in acura, and he makes the front windsheild flex bout 6inches, and doesnt break, it's REALLY hard, although, you CAN loosen seals.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 PM
4th Gear Member

that amp WILL do 1200WRMS. but at a high distortion ratio(prolly round 20%, where top of the lines run under 1%), and @ 14.4V, not the avg 12.6V. but again. if it's more for looks, and not a competition setup, 600Watts is plenty. and, you WANT sealed if your not in competitions. it doesnt get as loud, but it's what creates that nice, low, heart stopping thump in yer chest. and it makes it so your subs can handle a little more than rated. a 750WRMS sub, in ported can realisticly only handle about 600-650 continuously, where in sealed, you could push 850 continously, with enough airspace behin it. if yer system isnt sounding that good, try adjusting yer gains and crossover and all that.

deffently put polyfill in the box, if it ISNT ported, dont polyfill a ported box, and your deffently gonna wanna dynomat(or any other sound dampener) the liscense plate, and trunk latch area. sounbds great in front of car and in car, but god awful behind it.[X(]

amps will almost do what there rated at, high quality amps can normally do 20% more than rated. lower quality amps just do it with more distortion. and more stress on amp. i can advise ya on a real good 400-800watt system if you want to buy new equipment. so can everyone at that site.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

My two 12's are in a sealed enclosure and they sound great.
I would not want a ported enclosure in my camaro.
93Z28 your **** looks pretty good, but I would have built the box down in the well.
I don't know where your from but some good window tint would be helpful, that ****
would get stolen in a heart beat around my neighborhood, with it being so visible.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ya i know i keep forgeting to put more pics on i will try to get it done tonight. about the tint i want to but dont have the funds. i am not worried about my neighberhood they would get shot befor they made it to the end of the rode crazy hicks of minnesota lol. that realy isnt true but ya. thanks for you complements. i heed more pics but as you can see the first time i tryed to put pics on they dident work i dont know why. i ported my box not knowing any thing about it but it sounds realy good a just need polly fill or what ever they are talking about i think it will hit a little harder. well time to go back to work ttyl

Old 10-31-2007, 01:43 PM
4th Gear Member

well, the thing about porting, is it doesnt work, just drilling a hole anywhere. u need a tube, and hole in right spot. etc. what you did, may of made it louder, cuz it is "increasing box volume" (more air behind sub) but that can also be bad for sub, cuz now u have to much air.

Quick Reply: my box that i made,