Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

more bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:20 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: more bang for the buck

What all do you want from your headunit?

Ipod?

MP3?

What?

Old 04-15-2007, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

i want to be able to play mp3 cds cdrs and the whole lot and hook up my amp and subwoofer without any convaluted crap to deal with. also want a built in eq and volume control that you turn, not a button you push. my eclipse unit had everything i wanted, too bad its broken lol.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vampyrico

nah dont want components. just a head unit for now. ive been without music ever since i got the car. didnt have a radio. and the connectors are gone. just wires. so i have to splice directly to the car lol. unless i wanna go clip some out of a junk yard car.
Or go buy the car harness at anywhere that sells car audio stuff, even Best Try sells them, make it much easier in the future for you.

Buy a new Eclipse, their one of the best on the market. A CD3000(new model 3100), would work perfect for what you need, if you've got the money jump up to the CD5000 (new model 5100).

Old 04-15-2007, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

im looking for something a little cheaper. i dont wanna buy from ebay. cause that stuff prolly doesnt work. my old reciever had 3 pre-amp out puts front rear and non-fader for the amp. umm. it was an eclipse 5341. had stereo mute. cd changer ready. and had a ****. built in eq. i want a reciever with all of that. the closest eclipse in my price range was the cd1000, but it only had 2 pre-amp outputs and was missing a few other features. the 5341 is 4x10 max. not really worried about what it looks like. things with ***** look cool lol.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

So you want a $400 CD player for $100. Who doesn't want the good stuff cheap, sorry but it just doesn't happen. I want an 04 Cobra but crossing my fingers wont change the price to what I paid for my 94.

You get what you pay for

You cant afford $200 for the CD3100, but you can afford the CD1000 for $130?

Old 04-16-2007, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

i can afford to get a 400 dollar cd player, but i dont want to spend that much money on something like that. i dont want to spend more than 200 but i would like something between 100 and 150. lol. just no more that 200. this has pretty much all i want. is it good quality, http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=17386

Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

WMA Playback: Yes
Satellite Radio Ready: No Eclipse is Sirius and XM Ready
RMS Power Output: 4x20 Watts
Preamp Voltage: 2.5 volts Eclipse is 5 volt
Subwoofer Preamp Outputs: Yes
MP3 playback: Yes
Maximum Power: 4x50 Watts
HD Radio: No Eclipse is
DIN: 1
Changer Control: No Eclipse Yes
CD Text: Yes
Bluetooth: No
Aux input: Yes Eclipse Yes
Built-in EQ: Yes See Below
CD-R/CD-RW Compatible: Yes Yes
Remote Control: Yes Yes
Detachable Face: Yes Yes[/ul]

Features

[ul][*]Built-in MOSFET amplifier 20W RMS x 4 (MOS-FET 50W x 4 MAX)[*]Plays CD, CD-R, and CD-RW[*]Bass, treble, and midrange controls[*]Detachable Face[*]3-Band iEQ equalizer Eclipse has 3-band customizable, this one has all preset EQ's[*]Manual Dimmer[*]Direct Track Access[*]Front AUX Input[*]24-bit DAC[*]Subwoofer level and frequency control[*]Wireless Remote Control[*]clock[*]Rotary Encoder[*]Seek tuning [/ul]

Eclipse other features that one doesn't even have...
Crossover HPF/LPF, does what your bassblockers do essentially, but far better. Sends highs where you want them and the lows where you want them.
Front/Rear/Non-Fader outputs, other one only has sub-output
Rear IP-BUS input (for iPod, Cd Changer, HD radio, Sat. Radio etc) and another rca aux input, other MP3 player, DVD player, or anything
1 year warranty
ESN Eclipse Security Network, get on their website and read what this is if you dont know what it is

[URL=http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8705_Eclipse+CD31

Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That Eclipse is a nice unit. Certainly worth the $200. The Wal-Mart Pioneer that I put in my car had a reciept in the box for $180, and it doesn't even dream of doing half of what that Eclipse can.

Some people think they're on the harsh sounding side, but check out Infinity speakers. You can find really good deals online (ebay for them if you're so inclined, there are several ebayers that sell previous year models that didn't sell for nice prices). The reference series is a good place to start. Kappas if you can afford them.

As for subs, I have a thing for Dayton Audio drivers. They're readily available at partsexpress.com at good prices. The HQ subs sound nice, but want a big box. The HO subs like a smaller enclosure. They're both nice subs, based on the same proven motor structure, just with different T/S parameters.

For an amp, as much as it pains me to say, Alpine makes nice amps. I've had good experiences with Power Acoustik amps. Their Gothic series is what I've used the most. http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/...amp_gothic.htm Again, you can find these all over the internet for good prices. Don't trust the specs, because I'd say they're fudged a bit, but PA has gone from a company that was flea-market quality to a company that had decent products in the past few years.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

wow, the cd3100 is great, but the reason why i said it wasnt in my price range was because i saw it somewhere for like 499 or sumthin lol. haha. thx thats the one ill be getting. i feel stupid now, thx for pushing.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem, when it comes down to it, you cant hide the facts. It's an amazing unit for $200. Not to say you have to do this but you can get the CD5000, although it's last years model, it has even better features and has 8-volt pre-outs, far better display, fully customizable EQ, time alignment, it's got almost everything. It's on sale right now since it's last years model for $299. I know I keep doubling your price hear but, just wanted to let you know your options!

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4953

Quick Reply: more bang for the buck