Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2002 Camaro Audio (Sub and new speakers) HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Default 2002 Camaro Audio (Sub and new speakers) HELP

I am looking to upgrade my audio system in my car. I was really looking just to replace the existing speakers and was planning on buying new ones to put in. I was wondering if anyone knows how to replace them and can help me out. I know some basic stuff about cars, but dont really know how to replace them out. If anyone can help me on what speakers to buy and if it is possible for me to do this without much experience.

I was also looking to install a sub in the trunk. In the back where the ttops go, there is a opening on the left that has some room. Ive seen subs installed here and was wondering if anyone knows where to get the box that can fit in there. If anyone has advice on what sub to buy and amp, if would be appreciated. Also, i was most likely going to have someone install this, but if someone knows how to do this and would like to help out... Any help or suggestionswould be great! Thanks

Old 05-17-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2002 Camaro Audio (Sub and new speakers) HELP

well the stock speakers in the 2002 in the hatch and the back seat should just be covered by speaker covers, i have a 2000 and mine just come right off just kind of squeeze them lightly together, the front speakers you'll need to remove the door panel, i don't really know how to do that, because i haven't tried it yet, but typically its a couple of bolts and then you either lift up or pull out but like i said im not really sure. i would ask someone else about that. the install of the new speakers shouldn't take much more than a couple of minutes......good luck man, if you got any other questions feel free to ask

Old 05-19-2008, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, Like 2kcamaro stated, to remove the door panel, there is about 5 screws that need to be unscrewed, then you can lift up on the door panel, then slide it out.

Off Topic: I have a 1997 Camaro..... Will new door speakers work with my old wiring on it?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Fortee

Off Topic: I have a 1997 Camaro..... Will new door speakers work with my old wiring on it?
Yes, it should. My speakers on my '98 weren't cutting it so I replaced them with new-ish crossfires. The most you'll have to do is cut a few wires but I seriously doubt you'll have to do that is you get some good speakers.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

well if you really wanted to you could go up to best buy or to crutchfeild.com and order direct fit connections for your specific car. then you will be able to just unsnap your old speaks attach these to your new and they will just snap right into place

Old 06-01-2008, 07:47 PM

i replaced all the speakers in my carnot too long ago. just got a new system. i installed all of this myself and im 16..meaning if i can do it you can do it. its really easy. like they said..door panel lifts right off once you remove the screws. as far as the subs go-the spot youre talking about where the t-tops go prolly would work. but i recommend using the actual trunk part. just because if you want the best sound youre gonna need a bigger box for your sub. now in my opinion, the best brands of subwoofers to get would be "jl audio" "audiobahn" "mtx" "sony" "kicker" any of these are great. theres a lot more. id go to bestbuy. theyre pretty good with it.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

i agree with kyleengert with everything except for buying from best buy and sony being a good sub brand, best buy is over priced. check out millionbuy.com and sony subs just sound like garbage for the money you spend on them

Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 PM

and also if you think you can do it..try building your own box. thats what i did.it only cost me about 40 bucks. and you get experience out of it. course i like doing stuff myself. but i kinda agree with you 2kcamaro when you say bestbuy is over-priced. but thats about the only place to get good stuff from around here haha. now..what kind of 12 is it?? and if you know..whats the rating on it? because the higher the rating the bigger the box youre going to want. you dont HAVE to have a bigger box for it..but it would sound so much better. what i was thinking would be to just build a box that takes up half of the trunk. that way it doesnt take up the whole trunk ya know?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

First of all, don't go to best buy or circuit city; most of the time they are only interested in selling you something, not necessarily something that is going to sound good. Secondly, some good brands for speakers are JL Audio, Alpine, JBL, and Infinity. Boston Acoustics and Polk are pretty good too, but very expensive. In most cases, I would go with either Alpine or JL Audio. People will tell you that JL is overrated, but this is not true. They are just overpriced

Also, your sub/amp will be dependant on what type of music you listen to and whether or not you have the Monsoon system. The thing I would recommend, especially if you are looking at using the area opposite of the spare tire, is to look at JL Audio's Stealth Boxes. They make a box that comes with a JL 10W3v3 (good freaking sub, I have a couple 12 W3s in my car) and matches your carpet and goes in seamlessly. Throw in an amp and you're set!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro Audio (Sub and new speakers) HELP