93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

working hood vents on an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default working hood vents on an LT1?

I always look at my hood on my LT1 and wonder.... could i make those vents work?
i hate looking at that plastic.
anyone ever done it or know how to do it.. is it even possible?

Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: working hood vents on an LT1?

no, it is just for looks, if you remove the black plastic you will just see two tiny holes that hold it on, the only way to make the vents work is if you get an aftermarket hood, most likely an SS hood or a functional ram air hood

Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i took a look from the underside of the hood and saw what u were talking about. the black plastic is just cliped on but it looks like the vent units are just bolt on. I could take 'em off and modify them...... that could turn out really cool or a "What the hell were you thinking?" kind of times...

Old 09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i think you could drill holes in the little plastic holes to make it functional i think it will work you would need the air cleaner assembly from 97 ss iam positive it will be functional.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well its metal behind the plastic and i would have to cut that off. Then if i wanted to re-use the plastic i could drill holes in it or i could leave it open.

Anyway im not to worried about opening those up, just on what to connect them to. And how i could do it...... i don’t think this has been done before. if it has anyone know a site that shows how to do it?

Old 09-13-2006, 08:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

first of all its not metal its fiberglass i allready did this with my 94 sold already and it worked . were i threw white lines you will make a a box underneath the hood so when the goes throw the holes the air will get trap in their and will go into the 97 air cleaner assembly making it ram air so make a box underneath the hood so it will go over the air cleaner assembly trapping the air in their, get it?or you dont even have to make the little box because the air cleaner system sits above the intake mainifold right by the holes look at the pic

Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if you need any help just tell me

Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok your gonna drills holes throgh the plastic and the fiberglass but do not remove the plastic covers because thats were your gonna drill your holes over the make believe ones thru their the air will enter but this will only work if you have 97 ram air system

Old 09-14-2006, 12:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok know about the other question ok iam going to try and explain it the best i can you will build a rectangle box to cover the two vents so when the air enters it will traped in their and put a square in the bottom of the box it could enter the air system it will be difficult to build this box because of clearance problems the awards are great trust me

Old 09-14-2006, 12:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

and build the box a of sheet metal something steady and attach to air cleaner system because its to hard to put it on the actual hood

Quick Reply: working hood vents on an LT1?