93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

Rust prevention tips for rotors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Droid

May want to try stainless steel rotors, don't know how good they work, but won't rust.
Stainless Steel Brakes 23110AA1A Stainless Steel Brakes OEM Replacement Rotors - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by z28pete
May want to try stainless steel rotors, don't know how good they work, but won't rust.
FYI, "Stainless Steel Brakes" (SSBC) is the name of the company, not what the rotors are made of. The company first made their name by re-manufacturing and selling Corvette calipers with s.s. sleeves, and grew from there. I put a set on one of my Vettes over 30 years ago, they've been around since 1975.
Those rotors you show are "stock replacement": Rotor - Stock Replacement Front
Does anybody even make s.s. rotors? Part of the brakes stopping power is how well the pads bite into the rotor. I can't imagine pads would grab s.s. very well, unless they had a sandpaper finish that wore to infinity.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The product I found was called Fluid Film - I'm not sure about placing it on the rotor, but it seems to be a great product for applying to anything else you might want to keep rust from getting to. Maybe a super light application on the center part of the rotor, then wipe it back off with a coffee filter - so it's extremely thin and won't spread while the car is in motion. I'd hate for it to get onto the biting part of the rotor - may not be able to stop then (yikes), or the pads only bite intermittently. Not good.

But as an all-round rust preventative, it seems to be pretty decent. Don't know how much it is, though. Their website says they sell to AutoZone, but I couldn't find anything on AZ's website.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A buddy of mine uses Fluid Film on the underside of his truck for winter protection. He swears by it for that use, but I don't know how long it would last on the rotors.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Why are you going to great lengths to over protect a replaceable part? Some surface rust on the outside or on the hub isn't going to affect brake performance at all. I dont see what your trying to accomplish here honestly.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28pete
Stainless Steel Brakes 23110AA1A Stainless Steel Brakes OEM Replacement Rotors - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
I checked these guys out, and it seems the rotors are made from aluminum? Which is great for rust and weight, but wouldn't aluminum be too soft a metal for a brake rotor? Unless you use it for drag racing or something where you change out parts all the time - which I wouldn't. I may have to stick with my cheapos and just soak em in vinegar once a year or so. :/

Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Socom
Why are you going to great lengths to over protect a replaceable part? Some surface rust on the outside or on the hub isn't going to affect brake performance at all. I dont see what your trying to accomplish here honestly.
I want the knowledge of being able to protect a very expensive part (Brembos aren't cheap) by using a cheap part as the experiment to test the theory. Of course the argument could be made that I don't need Brembo, etc. But at the end of the day, I'm the one who has to drive my ride - and I want what I want on it.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Losat
I checked these guys out, and it seems the rotors are made from aluminum? Which is great for rust and weight, but wouldn't aluminum be too soft a metal for a brake rotor? Unless you use it for drag racing or something where you change out parts all the time - which I wouldn't. I may have to stick with my cheapos and just soak em in vinegar once a year or so. :/
No they're not aluminum. See my response to Pete above, they're "stock replacement", which means conventional steel rotors.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
No they're not aluminum. See my response to Pete above, they're "stock replacement", which means conventional steel rotors.
Ah, my mistake - it's the calipers that are aluminum, not the rotors. :/

Disc Brake Kit Front - 4 Piston Comp R - Wheel kit only (pair)

Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, with aluminum rotors, you'd be replacing them probably every week!

Quick Reply: Rust prevention tips for rotors, etc.