93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

my door is coming apart...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default my door is coming apart...

so, i went to open my driver side door today, and it felt like it pulled apart. looked at the side of it, and noticed that there is like some kind of hard sealant that was holding the side of the door together. like its happened before and thats what the people i bought it from used to seal it shut. the door literally looks as it split down the side about half way down.

so now when i shut my door, the top right (around the door handle) looks as its not shut all the way. the door sounds terrible when i shut the door now. like its not as solid as it should be. and if i have the window down, you can hear the glass rattle around really hard when i drive, and really bad when i shut the door.

is there anyway i could fix this permanantly? without having to replace the entire door? what kind of glue/sealant, or whatever could i use to hold it shut?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Could it be that the people before yanked too hard on the door one cold morning when it had frozen shut? If it's coming apart, I think the only way to truly fix it would be to replace it. Maybe a body shop could have a look and give some recommendations...

Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The outer plastic skin is glued to the frame of the door. They sometimes separate just from age, abuse, etc. If it looks like someone else "glued" it back on, they likely didn't use the right adhesive. Look up 3M products, they make different types of panel adhesives depending on what you're gluing together.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The outer plastic skin is glued to the frame of the door. They sometimes separate just from age, abuse, etc. If it looks like someone else "glued" it back on, they likely didn't use the right adhesive. Look up 3M products, they make different types of panel adhesives depending on what you're gluing together.
there we go, a brand name. that gives me a place to start. lol. it makes my car look hideous. so i gotta fix it the next warm day we get.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

checked out their site, you guys think this may to the trick??

On-line Product Catalog: 3M

Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kipp88
checked out their site, you guys think this may to the trick??

On-line Product Catalog:*3M
Q Bond Repair Kit Small Quick Bonding Adhesive : Amazon.com : Automotive Q Bond Repair Kit Small Quick Bonding Adhesive : Amazon.com : Automotive

thank me later

Edit: and the large kit
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

I believe I would go with the 3M product, nothing but good luck with that stuff. Follow the instructions carefully.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

and its cheap! i think im going to have to buy that dude.

but my dad was also suggesting using fiberglass resin and using C clamps untill it dried. it seems like a good idea, but isnt that stuff mainly for body work? idk if fiber glass resin would be a good adhesive. or maybe i could be wrong?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Kipp88
but my dad was also suggesting using fiberglass resin and using C clamps untill it dried. it seems like a good idea, but isnt that stuff mainly for body work? idk if fiber glass resin would be a good adhesive. or maybe i could be wrong?
Nope, don't do that. I've done enough fiberglass repair/fabbing to know it's limitations. Fiberglass resin is not an adhesive. Sure, it's sticky, but it's not a glue.
The one drawback to the 3M stuff is you need a special applicator gun, so it's going to be more expensive for you to use. I might be curious enough to give that Q Bond a try. As with anything though, good preparation is key.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Nope, don't do that. I've done enough fiberglass repair/fabbing to know it's limitations. Fiberglass resin is not an adhesive. Sure, it's sticky, but it's not a glue.
The one drawback to the 3M stuff is you need a special applicator gun, so it's going to be more expensive for you to use. I might be curious enough to give that Q Bond a try. As with anything though, good preparation is key.
good info there, so it looks like ima give that Q bond a shot.

preparation is key for sure, sanding, then more sanding, wiping down, then sanding some more. lol.

Quick Reply: my door is coming apart...