93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

Cheapest Size Tires for 98 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Question Cheapest Size Tires for 98 Camaro

I currently have a set of mismatched and 2/4 of the tires are dry rotted, need a full new set but want to know which is the best affordable size of tires I should get. I'm planning on keeping the stock rims, maybe get the same style but chrome if I ever changed them.

I have on P215/60R16 94H size on all 4 tires, mismatched brands.

Are these fine to rebuy?
Is there a cheaper size that will work just as fine?
Will the wrong size make the car less smooth to drive?
Will the speedometer get thrown off?

Recommend me a cheap tire SIZE not quality or new/used.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Changing tire size will throw off your speedo. How much will be determined by the difference in tire diameter. You can find that out here.

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

If you buy tires with a smaller sidewall (the middle number) your car will have a harsher ride, although it will improve handling. The reverse is also true, if you buy tires with a larger sidewall.

Truth be told man, unless you're buying a new set of wheels, which would defeat the purpose of being affordable, you're probably best to stick with the same size. I checked prices for the other size Chevrolet offered in 1998 (that being 235/55R16) and they cost about 50% more.

As for where to buy, I highly recommend the Tire Rack. Their prices seem to be quite a bit less than other places, and they ship faster than lightning. All you gotta do is take 'em into a shop and have 'em installed.

Tire Search Results

There ya go.

Last edited by Saint Ebony; 05-28-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks man, some decent prices on the yokohama tires.

If I can get all 4 of those ordered, shipped and installed for cheaper than it would be to get some tires at wal-mart, I will be a happy camper.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 PM
4th Gear Member

I agree with Saint Ebony in everything he said. My only question is, do you have future plans for the car as far as performance mods go? The reason I ask is because 215/60s are something you'd find on a mini-van or a Neon. If you plan on any performance mods, or want to give the car a meaner stance 245/50 will do the trick. Tire rack has Kumho 245/50/R16s for $85 each. Where else a 215/60/R16 Fuzion tires are $81. Those are the two cheapest tires for their respective size.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I agree with Saint Ebony in everything he said. My only question is, do you have future plans for the car as far as performance mods go? The reason I ask is because 215/60s are something you'd find on a mini-van or a Neon. If you plan on any performance mods, or want to give the car a meaner stance 245/50 will do the trick. Tire rack has Kumho 245/50/R16s for $85 each. Where else a 215/60/R16 Fuzion tires are $81. Those are the two cheapest tires for their respective size.
Well the main thing is the shipping is much higher than sales tax. 4 tires, from tirerack is about $400 total, shipped. From discount tire, I can get the kumho tires for $91 each, and installed with for only about $27 more. so its really about the same, if not slightly cheaper with the local discount tire, especially if they pricematch.

As for performance mods, I have a v6 automatic, didn't really want speed from it, so not really anything other than some slightly faster acceleration mod my friend mentioned and maybe a fuel chip.

the tires on it just came like that, got this camaro last week, I have no idea what is the preferred tire size.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 AM
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't say 245s are preferred, just 215s seem a little wimpy, even for the V6. For a few bucks more why not get some wider tires? They look better in my opinion and make the car handle better.

I only thing with Kumho's is the tread doesn't last as long as I think it should.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I wouldn't say 245s are preferred, just 215s seem a little wimpy, even for the V6. For a few bucks more why not get some wider tires? They look better in my opinion and make the car handle better.

I only thing with Kumho's is the tread doesn't last as long as I think it should.
245/50 tires sounds good, just trying to get the best deal. I'll have to skip on the kumhos, I'm taking a trip to the east coast this summer and back, need tread that will last a bit longer.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
4th Gear Member

I would too. I've been through a set in the rear once all ready and my second set (bought used w/good tread) are getting to their point too. The car isn't run hard either. Just too many 80 mile trips between school and home.

The only thing with the 245s, have someone else verify if they'll fit on the front with no issues because I'm not 100% sure on that. If I get the chance today I'll switch my front and backs and see if they will. But I would go with whatever tires you can afford right now. 215s aren't bad, just from a looks stand point, they don't belong on a Camaro.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would too. I've been through a set in the rear once all ready and my second set (bought used w/good tread) are getting to their point too. The car isn't run hard either. Just too many 80 mile trips between school and home.

The only thing with the 245s, have someone else verify if they'll fit on the front with no issues because I'm not 100% sure on that. If I get the chance today I'll switch my front and backs and see if they will. But I would go with whatever tires you can afford right now. 215s aren't bad, just from a looks stand point, they don't belong on a Camaro.
Well 2 of my tires are good so I can just put those on the front and get 245s for the back. what size do you use for the front?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 PM
4th Gear Member

I have 225/55/R16s on the front right now, originally 205s when I received the car. I don't remember what brand, but they ride nice and the tread isn't wearing quite as fast as the rear tires. Then again, the fronts don't have to deal with burnouts

I'm going the drag route, so at some point my front tires will get skinnier. For a DD, 225 or 235 would work nice with a aspect ratio (the middle number) of 50-60.

Quick Reply: Cheapest Size Tires for 98 Camaro