93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

1997 Camaro Front Bumper/Fender Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but is the gap from the hood not closing far enough or a gap that is between them? Kinda hard to explain, but that bottom picture looks like the hood is not closed all the way. Does it latch all the way down?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That's a good question. Are we seeing a front to back gap, or an up and down gap?
Cuz it does also look to me like the hood ain't all the way down.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
^ That's a good question. Are we seeing a front to back gap, or an up and down gap?
Cuz it does also look to me like the hood ain't all the way down.
No thats with the hood all the way down, the end of the hood is matching with the end of the fenders which makes me believe its a problem with the bumper. I have the car outside, I can take what ever pictures you all need

Old 03-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Door to fender gaps. Could be the fenders being mounted too far back or forward, with them wanting to be slid along with the hood? Or slide just the hood itself. Show the hood mounting bolts on the hinge, to see if they look like they've been messed with, as well as the hinge to body mounting points.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-17-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 AM
2nd Gear member

First off, is the front bumper connected to any black plastics underneath? If the bottom section matching the grill area isnt connected to anything, it will make the front bumper sag. There is another section that will make it sag as well. Inside the front fender well should be 2 nuts holding the bumper up on the front bottom of the fender. If they are broken or not on, that will cause misalignment.
If the hood is flush with one of the fenders than this part doesnt matter. But if it doesnt seem flush, there are 4 screw bushings that keep your hood from slamming on the body. Just screw or unscrew them to level it out.
As far as the fender goes, it can be misaligned by a few things. Remember the place with the bumper bolting onto the fender? If someone put it together quickly without paying attention, they couldve missed the bracket all together. Also, there is a bolt that aligns the back half of the fender inside the door jam. Its a small little thing, and I forget if there are 1 or 2. But open the door and see if it looks like there are any bolts going to the fender. If not, you might want to get it. Also, look at the pinch rail underneath the fender. Are there 2 bolts there? Is the pinch rail bent/pushed up? (some people jack it up there when it shouldnt be jacked from there at all.) If that is damaged, this will push the bottom of the fender out, sometimes forward depending on whats wrong down there. The fenders also have a brace to pull the sides in properly in the same location as the bracket for the bumper. Sometimes in an accident, if the fender is replaced, that is forgot about. It looks just like a 6" rod with a flat tipped end and will swivel around from the fender. Other than that, just make sure you have the bolts in every hole of the fender in the engine bay.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Ii also forgot about a couple others. With the front bumper, there should be a brace up top on each side as well. Its another rod with a flat tip. It connects just above and to the right of the low beam on each side. This will pull it up a little. Also, if the part of the bumper under the headlights looks rounded, check to see if there are bolts under the headlights. They should be coming up from underneath the hold that section of the bumper up and keep it flat. Also just check the push tabs on the top middle of the bumper. Make sure they are all there.
Now for the major part I forgot about. The headlight bezel can have a big impact on this. The front bumper clips onto the headlight bezel. So if that is low, so will be your front bumper. If you get underneath your car and look up in front of the A/C condenser, there is a triangular piece with a point facing down at you. You can loosen that bolt to raise and lower the whole thing how you please.
If you cant get it fixed with something I told you about, then I am stumped.