93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

1997 Camaro Front Bumper/Fender Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Default 1997 Camaro Front Bumper/Fender Help!

First of all I have a 30th anniversary (I think) 1997 Camaro. v6 3.8 motor Auto.

The front bumper to my car isn't alining with the hood. Its got nearly a inch gap there and Im not sure whats causing the problem. Its the right size bumper and Im afraid if I buy a new one it wont match up as well. Also the left side fender there isn't matching with the hood as you can see. Anyone got any advice at all please?

Name:  870RrlJ.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  570.7 KB

Really Wish I could tell you more but I just bought the car and was wondering what was the best way to go about fixing and the cheapest. I can take better pictures tomorrow if someone needs it but Really need this fixed before I paint it, Thanks guys

Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like someone had it apart and didnt put it back together right. either that or its been in a wreck. any indications of that? have a look under to see if anything looks wrong.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

It's been wrecked and put back together....not very well it seems. Did you just buy the car? Do you know it's history? How do you "think" its a 30th anniversary and not know its a 30th anniversary?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Yeah, it might have been wrecked because the fender is not matching up right and Im not sure about the front end at all. Its got 30th Anniversary seats so Im going to assume it is. Lets say its been wrecked, would buying a new bumper fix the problem? Or what should I do. yes I just bought the car not even a week ago, I dont know the history, I bought it off someone on a social site. I will take a new picture today also!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, it's likely been wrecked and shoddily fixed. No reason to take the front end apart under normal circumstances. But if someone did remove and replace the same parts, not wreck related, they would fit right. Btw, all 97's are "anniversary models". It's the "30th anniversary edition" model (white car with orange stripes) that's the special one.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Yeah, it's likely been wrecked and shoddily fixed. No reason to take the front end apart under normal circumstances. But if someone did remove and replace the same parts, not wreck related, they would fit right.
So, in your guys opinions what should I do?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What does it look like with the hood open? Is the bumper cover still attached to the mounting points on the core support, or are the plastic keepers out and the holes don't line up?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it might have been wrecked because the fender is not matching up right and Im not sure about the front end at all. Its got 30th Anniversary seats so Im going to assume it is. Lets say its been wrecked, would buying a new bumper fix the problem? Or what should I do. yes I just bought the car not even a week ago, I dont know the history, I bought it off someone on a social site. I will take a new picture today also!
Should have had it checked out by a mechanic. Hope you didn't get ripped off. That gap in the hood should have set off alarm bells in your head. No car has a gap like that. How does it drive? Any pulling going on? Steering wheel straight?

Open the hood and take some pics of the front area. Also some side views.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-17-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What does it look like with the hood open? Is the bumper cover still attached to the mounting points on the core support, or are the plastic keepers out and the holes don't line up?
yeah I know, I dont know much about cars, other than it only has 95k miles on the car, and it was cheap/good deal at the time. The steering does have some give in it.. and does tend to pull away.

Name:  munDPUl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  650.6 KB

Name:  GpPXYYG.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  432.4 KB

Last edited by JohnnyDeath; 03-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Nothing looks tweaked or out of place up front. How well do the rear edges on each side of the bumper cover line up with the front fenders?
And how tight are the fender to front of door gaps?

Quick Reply: 1997 Camaro Front Bumper/Fender Help!