93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

YAY something is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default YAY something is wrong

I decided to change the plugs on my 3.8 because i didn't know the last time they had been changed.(also it starts hard wondered if plugs were the issues). I got the AC delco replacement ones same plugs that i removed from the car. so i get everything back together pull the car off the ramps grabbed all my stuff( want to head up the the cottage where the rest of my family and some family that i only see once a year) when i start the car i notice it was idling rough not to bad but not like it used to. but whatever i start driving down the road. something isnt right there is no pep in the motor and then my SES light blinks at me. so i turned around car back up on ramps checked all the wires made sure they are on the right plugs and they are only other thing it could be that i can think of is that i cracked a plug......also when i was pulling back into my driveway i heard a loud pop when i let off the gas but it sounded like it was from the engine not the exhaust. any other ideas?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

i had that happen once on my blazer and i had a wire on the wrong plug....

Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah i check for that even tho i replaced one plug at a time and so i only had one wire free at a time....this sucks

Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Blinking SES light indicated misfiring. Do the AC Delco plugs come pre gapped? How old are the wires? Could you have broken the ends trying to pull them off the plugs? Also, double check to make sure none got against the exhaust manifold and burned.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Could have cracked a plug. You didn't happen to drop one did you?
If it gets whacked just right, you could close the gap.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah i prolly cracked one they were the correct gap right outta the box but i was in a rush and now i have to do it again im sure ill figure it out tomorrow. and my wires are newer i just didnt know if the previous owner changed the plugs when they changed the wires turns out they did....o well ill

Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you snapped a porcelain, you might be able to feel it by trying to wiggle the tip of the spark plug, without having to yank them all out.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If you snapped a porcelain, you might be able to feel it by trying to wiggle the tip of the spark plug, without having to yank them all out.

thank you that could save me some time i tried pulling off wires from the coils to see if i could find which plug i messed up but i decided that after seeing my coil arc from the post i decided that i would stop

Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

well i replaced a plug that i thought i could have crack and now it starts right up and idles fine and the SES light is off but still doesnt run right it has a shutter when accelerating

Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ok light came back on so i drove it to advance auto to get it scanned for codes and it came up as a random cylinder misfire and o2 senser. so im gonna get new wires and if that doesn't fix it im just gonna bring it in I dont have the time to mess with it i need to drive to work

Quick Reply: YAY something is wrong