93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

is it worth stroking

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:22 PM
4th Gear Member
Default is it worth stroking

so, im not selling my camaro after all(least i think []) is the swan racing stroker kit worth it? i plan on doing that powerdyne SC at some point, but would rather do engine upgrades first. would there be any computer settings id have to change to do this kit, and does it come with everything needed to stroke > rebuild then run engine? how much HP and torque you think this kit would add. and could the engine still be a daily driven engine.

or would it be easier to put better/new internals into engine? (cams, piston heads, arms, crank).

also, i was readin somewhere on COMEs racing that they're coming out wiht a stroker kit for the 3800II, and they're boring to maximum(which they stated would only be a 4.0, they claimed) so is it actually 4.2 or is it 4.0?

thanks!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: is it worth stroking

To get the most performance from a supercharger set up, the engine has to be built for that particular use. This means strong internals, the stronger they are the more boost they can take. Low compression to allowavoid detonation. Good intake, heads, and exhaust, as it going to pump a lot more air and don't want restrictions. Upgraded fuel system, more power more fuel needed. This means biggerfuel pump, fuel lines, and injectors. Custom cam for supercharger use. And a dyno tune to get everything sorted out properly.

If the supercharger did not use any power, every 15 PSI of boost woulddouble the power, but because of the power needed to spin the supercharger (centrifugal type) and other considerations, such as spark retard, rich fuel mixture, etc.,a 50% increase is more likely.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:58 PM
4th Gear Member

i plan on doing headers, exhaust, and fuel pump anyway. but doesnt the powerdyne(can only run 6-9PSI) claim you dont have to change any internals? i would anyway, but not all at once. and from what ive seen, those fuel injectors are expensive for this car

and i knew roughly what SC would add, i meant what would stroking/boing it add? if stroking/boring is best way to do it(maybe just rebuild engine with better internals?)

if i had to do EVERYTHING you listed(including internals, wheather rebuild, or stroke/boring) how much you think im looking at(besides the 4grand for SC) thanks for your help pete

Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 PM
4th Gear Member

No...building a V6 is never worth it...

but a very cool thing to do

Stroker > Supercharger, NA IMO is always better than forced induction...

My dream V6 would be a 4.2 (yes it is 4.2) stroker 3.8, complete heads/intake/valvetrain build from abbotts racing and all the other goodies imaginable...

They do have a stroker FI kit, made for superchargers and turbo's

Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Droid

Stroking will help the bottom end torque, probably work out good with the centrifugal supercharger which has little boost at low RPM.
I sent you the wrong link for the MSD coil packs, use this one instead.
http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_9_8224.htm

Old 07-28-2007, 03:34 PM
4th Gear Member

can we get valvetrain stuff for ours? all ive seen is OEM replacement stuff, never performance.

yes, i'd love to see import guys complaining bout us having more cylenders, to find out, it's a V6! i mean, we still can't beat a beefed up V8(well maybe after like a twin turbo upgrade) nor could we beat a high end import(supra, skyline) but hell, it'd be fun to beat everything else with a v6 muscle car.

ne ways thanks for your help, and pete, thats exactly what ive been looking for, didnt even think to try MSD's website.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Droid

With a litle work you can adapt a lot of the stuff used in the Chevy small block. You can always port the stock heads and intake manifold and get some good results. Cams should beno problem, most cam companies make cams for the 3.8, or can custom grind your old cam

Old 07-28-2007, 04:17 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

not if you have a girlfriend to do it for you

Old 07-28-2007, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

hahaha ^ thats what I was thinking. I was gonna say it is if it feels good.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Is anyone trying electric motor upgrades? i.e. hybrid systems? There is a LOT of raw power with some of these hybrid sport cars like the Alessandro Volta and FT-HS from Toyota, for instance... unconventional maybe, but there is some real potential there...