93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Worth?

This kind of pertains to the previously closed thread of "UPGRADE YOUR SIX ALL YOU WANT" . . .

Well, I'm a college kid, and currently own a blue 1995 3.4L Camaro. It's my first car, got her almost a year ago, and now have come around to seriously considering upgrading her.

My question to you guys is it truly worth it to keep putting more into my 6? I already know what Alih and BoricuaHec01 are going to say to this, but one thing that is keeping me from continuing put more in mine is because I have the 3.4 sixer, and not the 3800. I have a friend with the 3800 and it's kind of discouraging to me. I got lucky that my parents let me get a Camaro in the first place, because, despite my father being a big muscle man, and having owned countless camaros and firebirds, and currently owning a re-done 1971 z28, he was strictly looking at sedans and hondas for me, mainly because the used ones aren't hard to find. However I think he jumped on my car just because he bargained the crap out of the guy, and he had that old feeling of buying a camaro again.

Anyway, a couple of my friends own z28's and v8's, almost as a "weekend car", but drive small compacts to work and school. This almost sounds like 40/50 year old guys to most, but college kids are actually doing it more and more. This discourages me as well haha.

So, to sum it up, should I:

- Continue putting into my 3.4?
- Attempt to get a z28 and a daily driver at the same time?
- Attempt to get a 3800 and put more into that?

Money is a factor, just because i got lucky with my '95, paying only $1200 with 70k and no problems whatsoever (the salesman, or rather some random guy in ct, was an idiot). But wouldn't getting a relatively good condition z28 fourth gen be over 6k?

Anyway, i'll appreciate all feedback. thanks guys.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:33 PM
VIP member
Default RE: Worth?

If commuting isnt a problem, then you can try for z28. I myself am looking for a camaro. Slow search though. Believe its really hard to find a good camaro that you really want. A z28 for 6k for a 4th gen will have high mileage in the car. If you want lower mileage, you would have to start paying a lot more. It really comes down to what you want. Power>MPG or MPG>Power?

Anyways if you want to upgrade your sixer, you should, dont tell anyone in here or anywhere telll you otherwise. Your car, Your choice

Old 07-05-2008, 11:37 PM
4th Gear Member

I dunno about the 3.4... BUt as CBA said... POwer>MPG or MPG>POwer. The thing about my 3.8... I still get decent mileage but with a good bit of power when I want it ya kno? Gotta find a happy medium.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Listen To Camaro_burns_all and Evilkal. Its all about what you want, not what everyone else wants you to do.

you need to find a balance.

Realisticly you could spend some money and buy an exhaust, intake, headers, a cam, and a good tune &&Bury 96 97 98 Mustang GTsin a race.

But its really all about what you would like to do.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear member

No matter what you end up doing, you'll always want more. lol.

Since it is a 3.4, I say keep it as your DD since it has no problems, go for a z28, unless you really want to stay with a sixxer, get a 3800.
Both the z28 and the sixxers get about the same gas mileage, depends on auto vs manual of course, but you will pay more for premium and such.

I'm all out for modding what you get a steal on, I got mine for free!
Sometimes I get discouraged for only having a six-banger, but its fun to be an underdog.

I'll do some mid-light modding to get my car moving, then decide if its really for me.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Yes the underdog thing is nice. Especially with a few extra pony makers on your car