93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

whts up im new

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
The way the chip works it fakes out a sensor so the car run a little richer. Our cars have 3- O2 sensors. They detect the adjustment and cancel it out. If the ajustment is too great it will set a check engine light and set the motor to LHM. The Jet chips can simply can not work on our cars. Its been covered a half a dozen times on this site and 10 times that on other Camaro sites. In 10 years not one person has been able to show any dyno HP increase except the "placebo effect".
You don't have to believe me. Do you know anyone with an Iphone? Get them to download one of the pocket dynos and try it with and without the chip.
Didnt know they had them..totally just dowloaded it..playing with it now lol

Old 12-28-2009, 02:11 AM

That is all fine and dandy but explain to me why the chip wouldn't feed the car more false data to change what the O2 sensors are sending? Why wouldn't it intercept and change any sensor data that was advantageous to it? The whole point would be to completely fool the computer to make the car run at an optimum air/fuel mix. I see no reason that ALL sensor values couldn't be tweaked to do just that.

I would doubt the chip but I get 2-3mpg better mileage with it plugged in. Also the entire time the chip has been plugged in, it hasn't ever flagged a check engine light. Ever. 3+ years.

I highly doubt that the people at JET are as stupid as many forum lurkers assume they are.

Oh and: http://www.jetchip.com/dyno.asp?folder=Chevrolet

Originally Posted by Gorn
The way the chip works it fakes out a sensor so the car run a little richer. Our cars have 3- O2 sensors. They detect the adjustment and cancel it out. If the ajustment is too great it will set a check engine light and set the motor to LHM. The Jet chips can simply can not work on our cars. Its been covered a half a dozen times on this site and 10 times that on other Camaro sites. In 10 years not one person has been able to show any dyno HP increase except the "placebo effect".
You don't have to believe me. Do you know anyone with an Iphone? Get them to download one of the pocket dynos and try it with and without the chip.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Like I said these are not new cars, in 10 years No one and I mean No one has been able to post any proof of HP increase. These days everything gets tested at the track 1000's of times over a summer. In the last ten years I have read 100's of post of people that got Jet Chips only to realize their 1/4 mile times either stayed the same or got slower. I have never seen someone who could in some way measure their HP keep a Jet chip attached to their car.

People at jet are not dumb. As long as people buy thier product and they make a profit they are happy and will continue making it. Just like the turbo fans that go in the intake and those things you add to the fuel line, don't forget the eletric turbos. None of it works but it is a muti million dollar business.

If you want to tune your car for real go here http://www.pcmforless.com/ They can give you real, dyno proven results but they will tell you with out any mods tuning will only give you a few HP. The more mods you do the more the tune can help but they will need a list of what you did.

Edit: I did read about the Jet chips a little more and Jet has some product that look good so it is unfair to group them with the electric turbo guys. The fact they have no Dyno data for the V6 makes no sense. They have a dyno why not test it? Surely they tested the chip on the Dyno to get it right? I think the simple fact is that without mods there is very little HP to be gained just by tuning. Most people will not spend $319 buying a chip when you can have a custom tune done for around $400. I was mixing this Jet chip up with one of those ones that hooks to the Throttle position sensor and MAF addons.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-28-2009 at 08:25 AM.