93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Whats wrong with it!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Default Whats wrong with it!!!!!!!

I'm need some real mechanical help, let me start from the very beginning.

Alright, the first problem was that the car ('98 V6), was jerking real bad, and idling really rough. Eventually the engine light came on. I took it to get it checked the code that came up was that cylinder 5 was misfiring, easy enough. Had a look at it and turns out the cylinder wasn't firing at all and the spring needed to be replaced. Also, while poking around found out my fuel filter was FULL of sludge. Had them both replaced and the car ran fine for about a day or two.

After a couple days,I took it back to the shop and found out it was just a little hose that had either popped off or wasn't put back on. Either way, they plug it up and once again the car ran fine for about a day or two.

Now the problem was this, its kinda hard to explain without actually riding in the car but here goes. When I start the car, the RPM gauge is never steady and the cars is reving itself like its trying to stay running, also the battery gauge also goes up and done. The lower the RPMs, the lower the batttery gauge goes until it eventually cuts off. I usually start it again, it cranks up fine, and it smooths out.

I took it back to the shop,but they said because the engine light hadn't came on, they'd rather wait to fix something, they said they didn't want to fix what they thought was wrong, and it wasn't it. So they told me to keep driving the car until thelight came on which it eventually did. So I took it back and they said a multiple code was coming up.

After reading thru the possibilities they thought it might be the Mass Air Flow sensor. So he unplugged it and told me to drive the car. I did and it ran fine. He said that was the problem and told me to pick one up and he'll personally put it on. That was probably about 2 weeks ago and the car hasn't been driving fine since that one time, which makes me believe that might not be it. I just wanted a second opinion before I bought that $200 part and there is something else wrong. Are they any experts out there that might have an answer??

Old 07-03-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Whats wrong with it!!!!!!!

Could be the sensor...or another sensor problem elsewhere

Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 AM
2nd Gear member

The trouble with the battery gauge points to the alternator. Make sure the belt is tight and in good condition before pointing the finger at the alternator, however.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Did the code indicate that the MAF sensor was bad? If so i would replace it, however if he just suggested the sensor but the codes said something different then i would tell him to give you a description of the codes that the car is reading. And investigate these...

Old 07-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Overdrive Member

For your MAF, CRC sells some MAF cleaner spray -- be sure to try it...

Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the responses!! Something I lefted out was that the very first time I took the car, they said other than the misfire code, the was a code for the Crank Position. They also said the belt tensioner was going bad because it was stick out a little. Could this be the problem and not the MAF?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Overdrive Member

Well, how tight is the serpentine belt? That should tell you the story on the tensioner...

Old 07-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Now something new had started. I'm really close to giving up on this car!!! Now when I try to graduallyaccelerate, the carjust shakes and jerks. It won't accelerate unless I really step on it. Is my car graveyard bound??!?!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 PM
4th Gear Member

98 3.8's are junk.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 PM
4th Gear Member

first problem was that the car ('98 V6), lol[:'(]jk

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with it!!!!!!!