93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Whats that Bar under the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Socom
If you are putting them on a v6 don't waste your time, but if they are going on the Z then you should really like them Frame connectors are only helpful if you are making torque and horsepower
Sarah had noticable flex under medium to hard cornering and I cant think why subframe connectors would not help keep that to a minimum. Diamond flexes alot more than Sarah ever did. With the bar Diamond is about the same as Sarah with out the bar. That is a HUGE improvement before and after. Diamond was driven hard before we bought her. It shows in how sloppy the car feels. You drive Sarah and then Diamond and you can feel the difference in how the body moves even with light cornering.

Oh and Sarah is living at a new home now. The new owner loves the car, it has been washed like 3 times in the last 2 weeks that she has had it.

Massey

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Massey
Sarah had noticable flex under medium to hard cornering and I cant think why subframe connectors would not help keep that to a minimum. Diamond flexes alot more than Sarah ever did. With the bar Diamond is about the same as Sarah with out the bar. That is a HUGE improvement before and after. Diamond was driven hard before we bought her. It shows in how sloppy the car feels. You drive Sarah and then Diamond and you can feel the difference in how the body moves even with light cornering.

Oh and Sarah is living at a new home now. The new owner loves the car, it has been washed like 3 times in the last 2 weeks that she has had it.

Massey
That's always good to hear that the next owner takes care of your baby. I have the 35/32mm sway bar kit and a lot of suspension so there is hardly any body roll. I'm afraid since my car sits low enough as is if I put frame connectors on I won't be able to get a floor jack underneath it.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Overdrive Member

^^ yea I could see that.

The frame connectors would not really help with body roll but with the body twisting as you corner, heavier sways will only cause more twisting to transmit through the body. I doubt anyone just driving daily would really notice but if you were doing autocross with the car then I can see subframe connectors helping you shave off some time. There is a guy around here that is running a V6 Pony in the autocross and pulls almost as good of times as the V8s do. He can kill them on tight courses but not so much on ones that have a speed section which the V8s pounce him pretty good. his car is hooked up with all the chassis and suspension mods but very few engine mods. He knows what he is doing I can say that.

Massey

Old 07-18-2011, 11:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Socom
If you are putting them on a v6 don't waste your time, but if they are going on the Z then you should really like them Frame connectors are only helpful if you are making torque and horsepower
Wat?
The more nimble the car, the more useful chassis stiffening is. I don't know about the 4th gens, but the 3rd gen 305 drives like a truck. It feels like pushing a sledgehammer through the corners. I wouldn't waste my time on cornering upgrades on a v8, better to stick to the 1/4 mile. Personal opinion mind you.

Last edited by inanitydefined; 07-18-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Massey

Massey

Massey – That’s great that you sold your car to somebody who’s caring for it. Nothing worse than watching an old car get beat down by the new owner in your neighborhood.

During hard cornering, the 4th gen towers tend to flex inwards towards each other and move around. A strut tower brace on the 4th gen F-body ties the towers together, helps increase chassis rigidity, and reduce cowl shake.

Here’s the brace for a ’93-97

This one fits the ’93-02, but is made specifically to clear the engine on the ’98-02 Camaros.

Subframe connectors for the 4th gen don’t hang down too much but add a lot of rigidity to the chassis. These cars flex more than people think they do.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

Massey you sold your car? Why? as for 3rd gen handling Idk what your talking bout I love they way they handle but then again I drove an iroc but I don't think there is dif.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
Massey you sold your car? Why? as for 3rd gen handling Idk what your talking bout I love they way they handle but then again I drove an iroc but I don't think there is dif.
The third gen I drove cornered very well, don't get me wrong. But there is a distinct feel of too much front weight around low speed corners. My problem with that is this: an engine can always be tuned for for more hp, but there is only so much weight you can remove. You can tune the suspension to help, but can never eliminate the understeer such weight causes. I'd rather start with a balanced chassis and make it faster.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's what I tell people when they ask why half the engine is tucked.