93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

welded diff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default welded diff?

imwant to install my 3.73 but there is one thing that is keeping me from doin it, and it isthat i have open diffs. i know the best thing to do is to buy a limited slip or locker but i cant afford that. i work with a few welders and was thinking of having onethem weld my rear end so that its always locked. i know the pros of having it welded is a fully locked diff but i dont know the cons of a welded rear end as to if i where toinstall a limit slip, locker, or leave it open

Old 12-26-2008, 09:58 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: welded diff?

Not a good idea especially if it's a street car but if you want straight posi just buy a spool.
If she's a daily driver you should save up and buy a good limited slip posi.
Dragging a tire around corners all the time you car will corner like crap and wear out tires.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i know the limited slip is the way to go but would welding do more harm than good, and it seems like it would cause binding in tight corning

Old 12-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No PRO has a welded diff, Its an old dirt track thing. You ever watch a dirt track race? Those tires are spining almost the whole way thur the turns. I have seen some very low budget drag guys do it but it make moving the car around on the asphalt very tuff. Simple fact is when you go around a corner the tires travel at different speeds. Picture a car turning a sharp right hand turn The right rear tire may turn 2 revolutions in that same time the left wheel may need to turn 6 revs. With a welded diff you would either twist offan axle or the car would rabbit up in the air and hop around the corner. I have seen cars with welded diff try to do a u-turn on asphalt, aint nothing pretty about it.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah thats what i thought would happen in a sharp turn one tire would travel further and at a different speed a welded rear end would not allow the tires to turn independently where as the the limit slip would but would still hook under heavy acceleration. correct?
It is a DD and its mostly city driving so i take a good bit of sharp turns.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Overdrive Member

What they are saying (and I very much agree), is save your money and do it right...

Old 12-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is an LSD something you need to do because of traction problems with your 3.8? Or is this just something you want to do?

Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thats what i was gonna do but the guys at the welding shop said it would be okay and i tried arguing my point on why it wouldnt be good, but i had no luck so i decided to see what yall would think and i got what i expected, so i guess ill keep saving andthanks for the quick responses

Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

right now tire slippage is not a problem cause i have stock 3.08 gearing so it not a big deal. but when i put in the 3.73 i think i might have a little traction problem so i figured i would most likely need it with the new gears

Old 12-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Maybe I'm wrong, but even with the new gears, I don't see your car as being one that will have a "sit & spin" problem. At least not unless you're brake-torquing it. Yeah, you may break em free a little easier, but is it really worth the expense to install an LSD?

Quick Reply: welded diff?