93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Weird "check engine" problem..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Exclamation Weird "check engine" problem..

Hey guys. I bought a 95 Camaro with 3.4L v6 engine.
I have some oil leaks and stuff that i'm not worrying about.

But this check engine light makes me crazy.

When I first start it up, light never comes up.
If I take it to the road like limit is 45mph, light doesn't show up.
When I go to work, I take i-95 for about 10 minutes. Put it on cruise control.
Everything is good. Light is off till that exit.
When I hit brake and gage goes from 70 to 65-60, check engine light shows up.

I've talked to friend of mine who had like 3-4 Camaro's.
He said it might be overheating. But the gages are normal.?
He goes when you get to work, stop the engine and turn it back on right away, if it starts normal then its good.
But I've noticed that when engine is hot, it aint start smoothly.
So he said that some kind of sensor might be bad but I forgot the name of it.

Any opinions?? Thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Droid

The best thing would be to hook up a scanner and see what code is bringing up the light. Offhand, it may be the EGR valve acting up, but that is just a SWAG.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
The best thing would be to hook up a scanner and see what code is bringing up the light. Offhand, it may be the EGR valve acting up, but that is just a SWAG.
Thanks for the advice but it is an obd1 but i have obd2 tool. And as i said the light wont show up when you start it so i dont know

Old 02-08-2012, 03:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, yours has the OBD-II connector...but is a OBD-I compliant computer so you need some special cable because I don't believe you can just "jump" the connections with a paper clip like you could with the 93 and 94 cars.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, yours has the OBD-II connector...but is a OBD-I compliant computer so you need some special cable because I don't believe you can just "jump" the connections with a paper clip like you could with the 93 and 94 cars.
Thanks for your replies brother.
I think I might need to check up with Autozone and see if they can hook up an obd1.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

most autozones advance places like that dont have obd1 equipment id defiantly call and make sure tho but odds are your either going to have to pay someone to scan it or buy and obd1 scanner

or this and hook your car up to a laptop
GM OBD1 Scanner Cable & Software - USB to 12 pin ALDL direct. - GM OBDI!! | eBay

Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM

I've finally figured it out. Took it to shop, and they said my ecm was bad. Well, it was some stupid thing that i don't remember now, not fuse tho. And he said that was EGR valve as i thought. And he gave me an estimate for upper intake manifold gasket remove & replace for $247.56!! I said i'll wait.

At the same time, one of my coil packs was bad. But i didn't get code for that so i didn't think that was the reason why my car was shaking so bad. And he estimated an coil pack replace for $174!! Of course i didn't have him do these. Bought a coil pack for under 40 bucks at Advance and put it in, running good.

But i still get that annoying cel on when i coast from 60-70. He said thats not something to worry about but who wants to see cel on?

Have you guys done such a thing? If so, is it hard to do?

Another question..
I wanna put white headlight in my 95 camaro. I've never done this either so, i looked up online and found this for like 13 bucks: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Question is, do i need anything else? And this one says its compatible with my 1995 Camaro. I just get this and put it in right?

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited by ysunshine; 04-10-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: its manifold gasket!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ysunshine
Have you guys done such a thing? If so, is it hard to do?
I'm not following you on this one. Are we talking about changing the intake gasket or the ecm?

As far as those headlights go, cheap knockoffs, buy at your own risk. Same one's from an autoparts store would cost $50, so that tells you something right there. But those are not real HID headlights, just look a likes. Again, buy at your own risk.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 04-11-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would think about taking it to a different shop. did you get the code numbers when it was scanned. if we know what the codes are we will have a better chance of finding the problem. oh and a 95 will not flash codes like a 93. you need a scanner or a aldl cable and program to get the codes to diagnose.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

bad intake gasket can set a egr code. if we do not know the codes then all we can do is guess.

Quick Reply: Weird "check engine" problem..