93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

V6 Whisper Lid Available Again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
"we tested the Whisper Motorsports air box lid we installed in Part 3, using a stock air box fitted with a Green Filter as a baseline. Then, we switched to the Whisper Motorsports carbon fiber air box lid with the Green Filter and gained an additional 2-hp at peak power and 5-lb/ft at peak torque."
HOLY COW, .8hp for $100!!!! that 2 hp gain is definatly worth the $250 cost!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

If FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kits) is what you have, and you use it with no lid and no SLP CAI:

Note that this FIPK is NOT a CAI, and K&N does not market it as such. I am skeptical of the effectiveness of the "heat shield" provided in the kit:
http://www.KNFILTERS.COM/search/prod...x?Prod=57-3041
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-3041_inst.pdf

Then you will still be pulling air *from within* the engine bay -- the ideal is cooler/cold air from *outside* the engine bay, and low since hot air rises. With the lid and SLP CAI block-off strip in-place, you will be pulling air from the high speed air column directed up towards the radiator.

Tom Henry Racing claims "The best choice in V6 air box lids is the Whisper Motorsports unit"...
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/index.htm

Originally Posted by LSxLTxCamaro
I got a quesiton, is the lid better than my K & N CAI? I don't have a lid for it and really won't waste $250 on my V6 but would like to know if it is better to have the SLP (or anyother brand) lid like my Z28.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Overdrive Member
Thumbs down

You realize the lid is discontinued, right, and you learned scarcity in economics or...?

If you take the LS1 SLP Flow-Pac's claim of upto 20 HP over stock for their kit, and combine on the V6 the SLP CAI (which by itself SLP claims upto 10 HP over stock), Whisper Lid, and high-flow filter, the gain is going to be better.
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...47&BIG=21047-1

See, the HP referenced by Tom Henry Racing is RWHP -- obviously HP at the crank is more. SLP's claims are simply HP (I assume crank HP, which is how most automobiles are rated from the factory) I don't think half the people replying to this thread understand these basics, that's why we are back in class again.

Originally Posted by microkid
HOLY COW, .8hp for $100!!!! that 2 hp gain is definatly worth the $250 cost!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-13-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Or... you could buy the SLP CAI and filter, and modify your stock lid... You would most if not all of that 20 hp SLP claims, WITHOUT having to buy a new lid.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Overdrive Member

The sum of the parts are what you really want -- the whole intake package.

20 HP is on LS1 -- READ.

Even with a mod'd stock lid you will want to delete the noise resonator too for max benefit:

vs. the smoother air path:

vs. reject's mangled air path (to be fair, '98 is odd and down-turned compared to '99-'02):

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Or... you could buy the SLP CAI and filter, and modify your stock lid... You would most if not all of that 20 hp SLP claims, WITHOUT having to buy a new lid.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-16-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:22 AM
4th Gear Member

I have a side by side comparison of my car with whisper lid vs shaved/sanded stock lid with silencer delete... Whisper lid wins by 2 HP... And no difference in my 1/4 mile time... Why you think I got rid of it? Lol

I also have a FTRA that works better than the SLP unit and gained 5 HP from it. Claims are bull****. Hard data is where it is.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
If you take the LS1 SLP Flow-Pac's claim of upto 20 HP over stock for their kit, and combine on the V6 the SLP CAI (which by itself SLP claims upto 10 HP over stock), Whisper Lid, and high-flow filter, the gain is going to be better.
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...47&BIG=21047-1

See, the HP referenced by Tom Henry Racing is RWHP -- obviously HP at the crank is more. SLP's claims are simply HP (I assume crank HP, which is how most automobiles are rated from the factory) I don't think half the people replying to this thread understand these basics, that's why we are back in class again.
see, if you realize, that the ls1 and the 3.8 are in no way similar in any sort of fashion. and claims of UP TO 20 hp can be seen. yea, a dirty, clogged, oem filter vs. a new filter and a bellows delete can make the exact same UP TO number on a car without spending a fortune. and i still dont see any numbers on the tom henry car, which their build just seems to kinda end with no actual end result... and you always use that page for your own defense in any post regarding to the 3.8

Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear member

You're paying for the name. The SLP intake is nice but in the end how much do you want to pay for 2 more HP? We all spend our money foolishly on one thing or another. If you don't buy an expensive SLP intake, then you'll spend it somewhere else!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

All this talk about useless lids and crap. I built my own CAI and gained 100 HP, how about THAT!

No really, mrfreez is right, you are basically paying for the name. Honestly, look at the whisper lid. Its a rectangular lid.....made of plastic..... that cost $250......

Old 08-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

So you are like one of these members of Congress who vote for bills they never read, much less comprehend? Comprehension is required -- yes they ended Part 4 with an actual result:

"the Tom Henry RS peaked at 229.7 SAE horsepower at 5750 rpm and 225.7 pound/feet torque at 4625 rpm. Figuring 15-18% driveline loss that's 270-280 SAE at the flywheel"

At least I research and post facts and numbers when I can, which is more than most here do -- just saying what is their "style", or that something "does not make a difference in HP gain", when the numbers prove otherwise...

Originally Posted by microkid
i still dont see any numbers on the tom henry car, which their build just seems to kinda end with no actual end result... and you always use that page for your own defense in any post regarding to the 3.8

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-14-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: V6 Whisper Lid Available Again!