93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

V6 Whisper Lid Available Again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Lmao, YOU are always the one making rude comments to ME and always starting crap with ME constantly. Hm, I seem to remember you made unnecessary comments in my build thread and I had them removed. My thread had nothing to do with you, yet you invited yourself in to insult me yet. You out right insulted me for NO reason in this thread. Therefore, you deserved to be name-called.

THE ORIGINAL POINT WAS-I was appalled at how expensive that lid is/was. I looked into buying one, but couldn't find anything on ebay, craigslist, or other forums at the time of looking. So we made our own. How are you going to feel a 2 HP difference?! I have a full exhaust set up, a brand new engine with some work done to it, and you think by switching to a Whisper lid is going to make me feel such a huge difference over my lid set up now? Absolutely not. And yes, I DO know what I'm talking about. I've looked into this lid for awhile before deciding to just make my own. It's interesting that the lid is apparently 'available' again now, but it's just too expensive. But that's not my business to say whether someone should buy it or not. There's other ways of getting the same thing for much less money if anyone cares to look for alternatives. If not, that's fine, spend that money if you have it, but for anyone who is on a budget like I am, there's ways of getting around some stuff.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That works out to be a $125 per h.p. gain. WAY WAY WAY not worth the money.
You're not going to feel the difference from the extra whopping 2 horses anyway.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
That works out to be a $125 per h.p. gain. WAY WAY WAY not worth the money.
You're not going to feel the difference from the extra whopping 2 horses anyway.
My point exactly.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Cmon guys we're all Camaro owners here for the most part. Save the name calling for the Ford folks.

Back on topic, I definitely thought the Whisper Lids did better than 2 HP and were regarded as the best replacement to the stock airbox period. Not to mention I dont remember them being 250 dollars either.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I hate to sound like an a-hole, or arrogant, but I can't believe you're defending a
$250 dollar lid that gains 2 hp. I can remove the baffles, just like that "arrogant" poster above me did, and mod my own airbox, I bet it doesn't equate to $250 dollars worth of work.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:53 PM

I got a quesiton, is the lid better than my K & N CAI? I don't have a lid for it and really won't waste $250 on my V6 but would like to know if it is better to have the SLP (or anyother brand) lid like my Z28.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Overdrive Member

You guys need to re-read my entire post here:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=10

Obviously the gains are better when combined with an SLP CAI & high-flow filter -- the actual baseline should be bone stock and then add all those changes to see the full-potential.

Originally Posted by DavidJ1907
I definitely thought the Whisper Lids did better than 2 HP and were regarded as the best replacement to the stock airbox period. Not to mention I dont remember them being 250 dollars either.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-13-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by LSxLTxCamaro
I got a quesiton, is the lid better than my K & N CAI? I don't have a lid for it and really won't waste $250 on my V6 but would like to know if it is better to have the SLP (or anyother brand) lid like my Z28.
With the lid plus the CAI, you'll feel a difference. I'm not sure about feeling a power difference, but I felt a smoothness difference, if that makes sense. It felt like it was more free-flowing with both my CAI and modded box. I looked into getting the SLP lid because they look really nice and clean, but once again, that budget thing got in the way. Also there was still the issue with connecting the box to the TB. The 3800s have such a goofy angle from the box to the TB, it's like angled down and to the right side. I'm not sure how the V8s are set up exactly, but the box won't directly bolt up. And using the existing tubing/hosing from the baffles won't either since it's that oval shape to the stock box, and the SLP is round. Not saying you can't make it work, just saying it might take a little tweaking and thinking to make it work. Oh, I've seen the SLP boxes for around $90 too. But I'm sure if you look around, you can find some cheaper maybe.

Last edited by DarlingReject; 08-13-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:27 PM
4th Gear Member

All I want to do is add

98 V6, rebuilt engine, new tires, new shocks, new brakes to my signature!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Hey, it's Friday! Let's everybody have a beer and kick back for a minute.

Quick Reply: V6 Whisper Lid Available Again!