93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

V6-V8 swap: How to

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:40 AM

Alright I got the point of this cartoon and all and I understand theres alot of other stuff that goes along with swaping engines but I think I definitely want to do it as a long term project to help maintain my sanity as I enter the doorsteps of becoming a full fledged adult. I am currently the owner of a 2001 V6 convertible who is fondly attached to his camaro. When it is time for me to buy a new car I do not want to trade in my camaro. Instead I want to keep it, restore it, upgrade it, and take it on weekend summer cruises when I am old and gray. I probably should have gotten the V8 but since I was a sophmore in college and money was kind of tight, I settled for a V6 instead. My engine currently has over 100,000 miles on it. My question is, if I want to swap the engine, what is the the best engine for the best price I should get? I know there are plenty out there but I am clueless as to which one! If anybody can give suggestions I will be very thankful! And if someone knows or can give me a ballpark estimate of the cost thatd be cool too!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:26 PM

i am actually about to perform this swap. i was just checking to see wut im all gona need to have to complete. i got the complete drop in lt1 and trans.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Default poeple maken jokes

ok ya everyone makes jokes about the convert from a v6 to a v8, is it really that hard? I want to do it so i have a really fun project and a really nice sleeper. I am asking is it really that hard to do?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 PM

hey where did you get all your info on doing to convertion from the v6 to the v8?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Ninja Administrator

yes, it is a difficult swap. if you want to do it then go for it. nobody is saying not to. but what we are asking is for people to stop pretending its some sort of a budget race build.

also, swapping in a v8 will make it sound like a v8. it wont be a sleeper. it would be just like buying a v8 car and taking off the badges

Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Default im gana swap anyways

so i have a 1994 v-6 and i like the motor but mine has some problems. and i have a 305 that im gana swap. i plan on taking out all the fuel injected mess and going carburated (i believe i spelled that wrong) im not woried about hood clearance or motor mounts i will weld in new motor mounts or make a new hood. and i want to keep my trans. i love the gearing in it. any sugestions?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Ninja Administrator

what tranny is it? also, w/ 4th gen camaros it isnt hood clearance that is the problem. the carb will sit almost inside the windshield.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
what tranny is it? also, w/ 4th gen camaros it isnt hood clearance that is the problem. the carb will sit almost inside the windshield.
Can you imagine changing a spark modual on a 305 in a 4th Gen? Step one: remove engine LOL, You need to realize the easiest part of that swap will be welding the motor mounts. Making the power steering and all the other accesories work. You will have to make brackets. Your tranny will not bolt to a V8.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 PM

well as for the trans. idk. im assuming its stock but im not sure. and the brackets and all the things like that i can make most of that the welding im gana tig weld all of that in. and the trans i can get a new one. but now the carb if it dont fit do you have any sugestions. other than like not putting the motor in. i rally have no choice my v-6 is about done

Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It will be a lot less work to repair your V-6 then to do anything with that 305. As a genral rule the V-6 do not bring a lot of money used so if you need to replace it it should not be too much money. If you are broke watch Craigs list for guys parting out V-6 cars due to blown head gaskets (seems pretty comon) many will let you have the motor for next to nothing if you pull it. On most of these motors the top end give out before the bottom.

Quick Reply: V6-V8 swap: How to