93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

V6 HELP!!!! Misfires badly

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Default V6 HELP!!!! Misfires badly

HELP!!![/align]I posted a topic ages ago... About my spark plugs fouling out. Thats still an issue. Heres the original issue.[/align] If I drive the car normally, and need a bost of power.. I tap the gas, and it does not want to go anywhere. When the RPM'S get to about 4K with half throttle, it sputters, evens out, and sputters again. If I let off the gas, it goes back to normal. It almost sounds like im "starving" the car for fuel. But if its not under a load, and just crusing, its fine. Heres what I did to fix that:[/align][ul][*]Added a high flow honey comb cat[*]Changed all the plugs, and wires[*]Changed the fuel filter[/ul]
Now on to the new issue. Here is whats going on. The problem has progressively got worse. I am afraid to drive it any long distance, as I fear it will not make it to my destination. About a month ago my borther "sea foamed" the engine. After this was done, it made things much worse. The engine would hesitate while starting, and would have a constant misfire to it. As ir was idle, it would be ok. But if I gave the engine any load in Over drive, it would not react at all. If I started in 1st gear, and worked my way up, it would do fine. As long as I did not hit the gas. I had the engine code pulld, and it said multiple cymandar misfires. Just yesterday I did the following[/align][ul][*]Replaced 4 out of the 6 spark plugs. (I could not get the other to at all!! Passenger side is rough!)[*]Replaced all 3 coil packs.[/ul]
I replaced the plugs with AC Delco Iridum's. Im still trying to get the other 2 out! I drove it home, and problem 1 still existed, but I could give it a load, and it would take it. IT was about a 45 mile trip to my place. Handled 10 times better!![/align][/align]So I wake up this morning, and get in, and it has a misfire again. It will not even move now! I drove it to work very carefully. I just got back from lunch, and it practically died on me on the way there. When its in netural, it even jumps. So now its a steady misfire. Im hoping its just awire loose, but from sitting all night, how would a wire come loose? Did the wire fariy's take it off!!![/align][/align]One thing I would like to add. In this condition, I went 20 miles, and lost a half tank of gas!! is That normal? it was all highway also!!!![/align][/align]Do you guys have any ideas I might be able to try. I will be traveling for 2 weeks starting Wednesday, so at least it will sit then!![/align]

Old 10-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: V6 HELP!!!! Misfires badly

Try some Lucas injector cleaner for a couple tanks, replace your air filter, and try cleaning the throttle body with a solvent spray designed for that purpose. Check the codes again and try replacing the other two plugs...

Sounds like that Sea Foam application was not done correctly, and you have some serious problems, might be worth having a shop diagnose it... Be sure to print the above for them.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the info.. I agree I have some serious problems. I had run Injector cleaner in it for 3-4 tanks about a month ago. I think I used STP. I didnt use Lucas. I have a K&N air filter in the car, and I just cleaned it about a month ago. Ill clean out the throttle body. I was thinking of taking it to the shop tomorrow. I can tell its going to cost me!!!! I believe the sea foam failed. Replacing the other 2 plugs is easier said than done.. Someone did mention to me that having a K&N air filter in their blazer ruined there mass air flow sensor after about 6 months of use. Have you heard about that issue before?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

What kind of work was done to the engine recently, like before these problems occured. How is the 02 sensor?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM

There really wasnt any work done.. Just a cat. The 02 sensor(s) should be good. Im leary on one of them. The one before the cat.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Overdrive Member

They sell MAF Sensor cleaner at most autoparts stores -- just spray all sides of the wires, but never touch them...

If you over-oiled a filter and/or did not let it fully dry before insertion the oil could coat the MAF wires causing problems...

Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM

Is that the little sensor in the air tube with a ball on the end of it, and completley open? I think the filter was try. I shook it, and nothing cane off of it...

Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Overdrive Member

No...

Here's a MAF Sensor:

Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 AM

I dont see the picture. If it is one. Can you put that up again?[/align][/align]The car is actually running great now!!! The shop fixed it, and all it needed was a set of wires. Aparently 4 of them were burned out on the inside. When I had them replaced about a year ago, I was very leary about the shop doing it. I had 4 of them burn through on the manifold! So no more going there!! Im glad thats all it was, and nothing major!!![/align][/align]Thanks again for all your help guys!!! My 3800 is no longer a 2875! [/align]