93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

V6 3.8L 2002 Camaro - hissing from cold-start injector

Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Default V6 3.8L 2002 Camaro - hissing from cold-start injector

I have a 35th Edition 2002 Camaro with a V6 3.8L that was installed before I purchased the vehicle, used,going onthreeyears ago. (There is no record of this on thetitle, so it must have been a self-installation.) It has been working fine short of needing a fuel-pump and a beltreplacement over a year ago, also had to replace a wheel bearing.

Several monthsagoa distinct hissing noise began to come from theengine as soon asit is started. As the vehicle is driven, the low hissing continues and becomes louder according to how hard I press the accelerator. If I am driving normally, it stays the same but as soon as I press it further than a quarter-inch or so, it begins to hiss much louder. This also seems to burn QUITE a bit of gas so I do not make a habit of speeding. It has cut my m.p.g. in half even being easy on itand I am neither equipped nor willing to take it into a shop unless absolutely necessary. [:'(]

In listening to the engine, I have noticed that the hissing is coming from the cold-start injector and if I put a screwdriver up to it and listen to the end I can hear it shooting injection after injection. After about four minutes or so it begins to smell of gas all around the car. It is apparent to me that the vehicle is loading up on far moregas than is needed...

My initial thought is that i havea faulty injector (Ifear I am favoring this because of the considerably low cost, though, compared to my other options) but it seems to me that it could be my electronics malfunctioning and telling it to continue injecting fuel. It could also be a sensor malfunctioning...

Additional Notes:
-Check engine light came on about a week before I noticed the noise.
-When it begins to idle it starts shaking a little (which made me think it was a vaccuum leak at first, but there are none around where the sound is being emitted from.)
-It happens almost every time the vehicle is started but OCCASSIONALLY does not happen and runs fine. Of course, after arriving at my destination and leaving maybe 30 minutes later, it starts back up without fail.
-Sitting and letting it warm up does nothing but make it go into idle and start to smell like gas.

Any ideas on troubleshooting the issue, personal experiences, additional questions... I amm desperate to get my mileage back.

Thanks!
D.S.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: V6 3.8L 2002 Camaro - hissing from cold-start injector

wow...stumped...There are only 2 vac lines that I know of. Brake booster and one that goes in the side of the upper intake. If you are smelling gas, more than likely it from the intake. Could be from the fuel return line also, just guessing. If its a vaccume leak you can check it by spraying the area with startter fluid. If the RPMs increase, you have found the leak. I bet its the upper intake gasket. Is your Service engine light on?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 PM

Forgot to mention that. Yeah, the check engine light came on about a week before I noticed the noise. It is definitely upper-right of the engine, in front of the spark plugs.

If it is a vacuum leak, though, why the gas smell? Ifso thenthe gas mileage would actuallyincrease, right? Also, I have noticed no change in performance; it still picks up and goes like it always has.

Still, I will spray it today after work just to see... A leak would seriously improve my perspective on the issue. [&o]

Old 08-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Overdrive Member

You should take the car to an Auto Zone and have them scan it to see what codes are in. We could help from there also.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Okay, back home. It is not a vacuum leak, as I sprayed WD-40 all around the area and the RPMs did not increase. I will take it to AutoZone tomorrow and have them give me a copy of the codes. I have supplied pictures below of my engine layout and the exact area that the sound is the loudest.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14279/A2C2606A58E843429934CF349AAA38F4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14279/A3A45484D86349B69B7C0A38E9DBB83D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

I dont think the WD40 will work. It needs to be either brake clean, starter fluid or carb cleaner. Does it flood ever? Pull your dipstick, can you smell gas in the oil?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

You could also have a leaky injector o-ring. that is very possible.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

wd40 will not work at all, just make a big mess. You need starting fluid to do this.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear member

a good running engine is a clean engine,have you ever tried cleaning your motor every once in awhile i mean it's not that hard to take some soap and water every time you wash it does it.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Guess I should not listen to peoples advice. Dude I know said WD-40 works just as well. I will go ahead and get some starter fluid when I hit AutoZone, but I am not really feeling the leak idea.

I do appreciate the suggestion for keeping the engine clean and am not trying to be rude by saying this, but giving the thing a good wash is not going to stop it from eating gas and hissing. On a positive note and to your credit, I will start doing this because I want to do whatever I can to make the car last.

Yes, the oil smelled like pure gasoline; it has been flooding. Should I still check to see if there is a leak? I am fairly sure it is loading up on gas and that is why it is eating the gas... Leaving for AutoZone soon, will return with codes.

Thanks everyone!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 3.8L 2002 Camaro - hissing from cold-start injector