93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Turbo Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Turbo Camaro?

I need some serious help. I do not have the money to swap in a v8 nor do i have the right knowlege to do a head/intake swap. I am just going to do a turbo set up. Dont tell me my stock enging wont take it. Ive learned that my stock engine can take up to 7psi. So thats what im looking for. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A WASTEGATE DOES NOR A BLOW OFF VALVE. so please some one educate me...thanks ;]

Old 10-11-2009, 12:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Correct me if I am wrong here, but aren't turbos just as, or even more expensive than the V8 swap? Or even more expensive and time consuming than just buying an SS or Z28?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dappled Apple
Correct me if I am wrong here, but aren't turbos just as, or even more expensive than the V8 swap? Or even more expensive and time consuming than just buying an SS or Z28?

it depends on what your're looking for. Like for me im only looking for the amount of boost that my engine can handle. Plus i work at a junk yard. so what i was planning on doing was getting a turbo from an old volvo and fabricating it to my car. Ive read articles and heard of it being done. I just need to know how.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

not sure, but you will probably need to get a cam done for your car to run proper.

this should answer your question on the BOV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve

the wastegate is what's going to control your boost pressure. the stiffer it is, the higher the boost will build. with my diesels, i'm used to running +20 lbs of boost no problem. 7 psi should be fairly easy to pull out of a turbo. being a gasser though, you will want to make sure that your setup is precise. you don't want to much boost being forced into your engine, see BOV article. im not sure what the PCM is like on a 3.4, but you will probably need to get that adjusted accordingly too.

it won't be just a simple matter of bolting it up. your are going to need custom manifolds to bring the exhaust to the turbo, oil lines, and depending on the turbo, a way to properly tap vacuum lines. i don't know what you drive like, but a pyrometer and a boost gauge are essential in my opinion. keep track of your egt's pre-turbo, and find out what point meltdown happens at. the gauge might cost a little bit, but try running without one and sending shrapnel down your intake and it will be more expensive in the long run. if you are building for performance, check the turbo's out closely to find out what is going to suit you best. different pitches, different compressors and exducers, they will all factor into the picture. i have a spare turbo from a truck sitting on my shelf that i could rig up i am sure, but i think it would be pushing way to much air. some push way more air than others. keep that in mind.

not to discourage you, there is just a lot of work involved, and from what i have read, the 3.4 is not exactly a performance minded engine. ensure you have everything figured out as much as you can before you even touch the engine. good luck.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Unless you can custom fab steel and have a machine shop tucked away somewhere the turbo will cost WAY more then a then a V8 convertion. You figure out how to do it for less you will be the hero of the V6 4th gen guys.
Second unless you just rebuilt your motor there is no way you can know if your motor can handle any boost. Head gaskets are weak spots on the 3.4 and they are the first thing to give out on a turbo car. Step one to any turbo job is remove and check heads, buy better head gaskets then stock and better head bolts. That is concidered the bare min for a turbo upgrade.

Someone has it in their sig, Cheap/Fast/Reliable you can only have two.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:17 PM

I myself am a turbo lover but in my opinion I would say a supercharger would be the best (cheapest) way to go for you. I don't know much about the camaros yet but I know that chevy made a supercharged monte carlo that would be your cheapest route, I do believe. it might even bolt right up! again I don't know a lot about the chevy's but that sounds right to me.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Deadly Z Driver
I myself am a turbo lover but in my opinion I would say a supercharger would be the best (cheapest) way to go for you. I don't know much about the camaros yet but I know that chevy made a supercharged monte carlo that would be your cheapest route, I do believe. it might even bolt right up! again I don't know a lot about the chevy's but that sounds right to me.
No its not right, It will not fit in a F body. It designed for a 3.8 but it will not fit 3.8 F bodies either. The best way to get power out of a 3.4 is good old fashion hard work. You start doing a ton a research and replacing the heads and work it from there.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-11-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Thanks, good to know glad didn't buy that supercharger.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

Why wouldn't you do some of your own research on a BOV or Wastegate? There is a abundance of information online. Look at how many boosted cars there are on the streets?!

Just drive the Car as it is, after it's fixed, and save your $$$.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member

If you really want to go turbo look up the squire turbo setup or google sts its a do it yourself kit rear mount turbo I've seen it on v6 camaros [plural for a reason] here in vegas and you can adjust it to stay at 7lbs but I would definitely consider lowering compression of motor and using steel gaskets

Quick Reply: Turbo Camaro?